A newbie to diving and this board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dawnC

New
Reaction score
Hi all :)

Just completed (with a lot of effort and not natural skill!) my open water diving in St Lucia

Although there was lots of surge and the sand was very stirred up, what I could see was fantastic, I felt like a little kid seeing things for the first time and I cant wait to dive again! Will have to sit and twiddle my fingers now until the summer when we head off to Corsica.

I can see this becoming an addiction!

bye for now

Dawn

welcome to SB

Amen to that effort and not natural skill! You've described us all. I helped certify a group of olympic level swimmers. . . If the dive boat rocked they were ready to swim a couple of miles back to the marina. Once they learned to stop trying to swim the english chanel they learned to dive well.

Surge and low visibility, as well as new divers messing up the bottom are all things you have to learn to accept. As a new diver, learn to control how you mess up the bottom. Don't attempt to circle the island, meaning don't try to go too far. Relax, watch your bubbles for awhile, and adjust your equipment for comfort. Then, adjust your bouyancy to just hover above the bottom, (notice you can do these things without moving past your starting point). Slowly, after you are under control you can move toward some of the fish. If you move straight at a fish, It will run from the big bubbling monster trying to eat it. Move at an angle to the fish so you are not a threat.

Become comfortable with all the gear strapped on you, the bouyancy bouncing you off the bottom and floating to the surface, Then slowly approaching fish and coral while under control. . .
Your next dive will last longer, 5 dives later will give you even more bottom time and see more fish! 50 dives from now, you'll be teaching us about your secret spots with fantastic stories, we'll all envy.

A warm SB welcome to you from the chilly waters of Western Washington. Congratulations on getting certified!

Sea ya

Welcome to SB Dawn.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

How about completing your Dive Info and Profile?

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-005.gif

Many thanks for the warm welcome .. off to see what Corsica has to offer for beginners

take care all

Dawn :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom