Didn't pass my mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artistsandy

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I took my confined diving training this past weekend and passed everything except the skill of taking my mask off completely and putting it back on. I could do partial clears just fine, it was only when I removed the mask that I had problems. Everytime I took it off and exhaled thru my regulator the bubbles would go right up my nose and force water up my nose. This resulted in me coming to the surface several times sputting and coughing. I'm FREAKED out about what would happen if this happened 30 feet below water. Therefore I'm DETERMINED to overcome this and master the skill, since I can't get my OWC unless I can do this. I am scheduled to an afternoon of practice in about 4 weeks which I think will help since I'll be one on one with an instructor.

Anyway, after all that whining I really am excited about getting certified and going diving. But I will probably have my mask WIRED to my face. :)

- artistsandy :wink:

hey, that's the spirit. you can deal with this with practice.

you may want to start practicing now.

go to a pool. stand in shallow water and lower yourself into the water
(that way you can stand up if things go wrong).

then, face down, breathe through a snorkel with a mask on.

then breathe through the snorkel with the mask off until you can handle that.

then practice taking your mask on and off while breathing through the snorkel.

do this until you can do it in your sleep :wink:

artistsandy:
IEverytime I took it off and exhaled thru my regulator the bubbles would go right up my nose and force water up my nose. This resulted in me coming to the surface several times sputting and coughing.

Maybe you could try exhaling thru your nose instead?

Take your time and practice each step until you are comfortable before moving to the next.

Leave your SCUBA gear in your bag. You only need 3 things at the pool at this point. 1. Mask 2. Snorkel 3. Weight belt with weight.

At no point will you leave the shallow end of the pool.

Take your snorkel off your mask and put on your weight belt. With your mask on the pool deck, your snorkel in your hand and your weight belt on, get into the shallow end of the pool. You should be where when you stand you are no deeper than chest deep, waist deep is even better. Put your snorkel in your mouth and breathe from it. Now, bend over and breathe through your snorkel while you dip your face into the water. If you are comfortable, stay awhile until you feel natural. If you have difficulty, think about drinking through a straw while you practice the excercise. Remember, you can always stand up straight to end the excercise at any time. If you need to, you can slowly build up your time until you feel comfortable.

Next, practice dropping underwater, allowing the snorkel to flood and coming up to blast it clear, leaving your face in the water. Continue until you are comfortable

At this point, you have accomplished three important things.

1. You lowered your anxiety level by working in a no risk (shallow) environment.
2. You became an expert in no mask breathing.
3. You know you can breathe with a flooded mask.

Now, put your snorkel down and pick up your mask. Put it on and drop down to your knees. Break the seal just enough to allow a small amount of water in. Clear the mask. Do not pull out on the bottom, merely push in on the top while looking up. The biggest mistake most people make is not looking up. The second most common mistake people make is not exhaling through their nose. Keep your mouth closed. Repeat this until you are comfortable. Don't forget to stand up and catch your breath between clearings. Now, increase the amount of water you allow into the mask to about ¼ flooded. When you are comfortable with that level, move to ½, then to a fully flooded mask. When you've reached the point you can clear it easily every time, see how many times you can clear it on one breath. After you are at this point, clearing your mask will be easy. You will have reached it in a step by step manner that was easy to accomplish.

Remember, you can always stand up if you feel uncomfortable.

When you use a regulator, it's exactly the same except for the bubbles. You can tilt your head so most of the bubbles miss you nose. Concentration is important. You aren't inhaling when the bubbles hit your nose, so nothing will go very far. Alternate exhaling through your mouth and nose. As soon as you feel uncomfortable with the bubbles, exhale a bit through your nose. This will push any water out. You'll make it.

Just practice breathing without a mask, worse case you can always plug your nose with your fingers, get the breathing going first, relax, then slowly remove your fingers until you relaxed enough, breath for a few minutes without a mask and your fingers.
Also, practicing on opening your eyes underwater - even in sea water - will help you a lot to relax while doing the mask removal skill.

Its like anything else in life, practice practice practice.

You should be thankful, our instructor made us do some pools while the mask is off and your buddy is guiding you.... (I have to say, once you got used to it, it was a lot of fun!!)

Hi Sandy, you've gotten some good replies here. The suggestion of using a snorkel in a pool to practice between now and when you are scheduled to get together with your instructor is a great one.

A lot of people have a difficult time completely closing off their nose during inhalation. With the mask on this isn't much of a problem since only a small amount of the inhalation/suction is directed to the nose but with the mask off they get enough water in to make it uncomfortable.

If this is happening to you you can try pinching your nose closed with your fingers and descending while breathing off the snorkel. After taking several breaths with your nose pinched, try releasing your nose and exhaling through it, then pinch it again, inhale through the snorkel, then release and exhale through your nose, etc. Usually after several minutes of this your body starts to get it and you'll find that you can breath in and out through the snorkel without needing to pinch your nose.

With most masks you can pinch your nose through the nose pocket. If you need to get a good breath with no risk of water up the nose prior to clearing you can use this trick then too.

As you practice and become more confident you'll find that you need to rely on these little tricks less and less.

artistsandy:
Anyway, after all that whining I really am excited about getting certified and going diving. But I will probably have my mask WIRED to my face. :)
- artistsandy :wink:

You'll need to wrk on this until you really confortable with it, since at some point (or many points), someone is going to kick your mask off with a fin.

Also, FWIW, the skills (and class) aren't a "pass/fail" thing. You'r elearning skills that you need in order to be safe and happy, and until you learn them, the instructor can't sign off on your c-card which really says "I certify that this person is safe to dive"

It's a little double-weird, since you're breathing underwater, which people aren't designed to do, and now you're taking your mask off, so you're probably getting a little water in your nose.

It just takes a little practice, and you'll be fine.

Terry

Howdy and welcome to SB!

You've already received great suggestions. You'll get it...!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-005.gif

Take heart...

My husband initially had problems with mask clearing when he did his open water certification over a decade ago. For me, it was natural. The difference between us was that I was a lifelong swimmer and he wasn't. He mastered the skill once he became comfortable in the water. Since then he's surpassed me....he went through SAR training with the Navy (talk about being comfortable in the water) and is a rescue/recovery diver with his police department.

You'll do great! Best wishes to you and keep us informed...

Trish

Hang in there. My girlfriend didn't pass the mask clearing the first or even second time around. We were trained in a cold, dark quarry. However, once we got to Bonaire for our first dives, she was checked with flying colors.

Take the advice you have read here and put it to use.

I have also heard that women, in general, have more difficulty in breathing through their mouth. Maybe its because they always have it running.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom