Allow myself to introduce.... myself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PenguinAdLitem

Registered
Reaction score
At ScubaBoard's urging... I am a new diver from Alaska. I've logged about 10 dives, including my open water and nitrox certs. Next up will be PPB, because I need it.

I have already found the input of ScubaBoard terrifically useful in getting my (starter) rig fitted out, so thanks for that. It looks like there are no quick fixes in SCUBA, however - even relying on your input, it looks like the only way I will improve and keep getting more out of diving is to dive, and dive, and dive some more. So here's looking forward to the practice!

Welcome PenguinAdLitem. I don't typically think of scuba and Alaska together. I bet Alaskan scuba divers are a hearty bread indeed! Glad that you've joined us. I'm also new to scuba and am still learning a great deal. I have AOW, EAN and PPB scheduled for June ... and yes, I sure need it to. Good luck!

Thanks. I don't know that we're particularly hardy. _Very_ well equipped, however. :) We dive dry year-round, and you have to learn dry suit operation as part of openwater, out of necessity.

For instance, we bagged my fourth OW dive when we woke up to find a blizzard on day 2. We did dive 3 in the snow, and it was the best dive of the weekend (despite doing all of our surface skills on that dive). But when we surfaced at the end of that dive we were in 6 feet of chop, and a shore entry looked ill-advised. I have a bunch of pictures of the weekend, if anyone cares.

PenguinAdLitem:
Thanks. I don't know that we're particularly hardy. _Very_ well equipped, however. :) We dive dry year-round, and you have to learn dry suit operation as part of openwater, out of necessity.

For instance, we bagged my fourth OW dive when we woke up to find a blizzard on day 2. We did dive 3 in the snow, and it was the best dive of the weekend (despite doing all of our surface skills on that dive). But when we surfaced at the end of that dive we were in 6 feet of chop, and a shore entry looked ill-advised. I have a bunch of pictures of the weekend, if anyone cares.

I call that hearty! If you scuba dive in Alaska, you LOVE scuba diving. I've come to believe that the vast majority of certified divers don't really love scuba diving. Rather, they put up with it as a means to enjoy things tropical ... reefs, aquatic life, warm water, awesome visibility, etc. Now, someone who dives Alaska, or the Great Lakes, or the cold quarries in the midwest and loves it ... to me those people LOVE scuba diving. Either that or they're insane!

Howdy and welcome to SB!

I think your approach and attitude is right on. :thumb:

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-005.gif

Thank you all so much for your welcoming comments. I can't say I'm surprised - the dive community has been very welcoming thus far - but I really do appreciate your saying hi.

Now to poke around here a little bit more and see if I can make a contribution... :)

Your OW dive pics are a testiment to your dedication. I realize this sport can be addictive but I must admit I would be hard pressed to join you, or anyone, if I had to dig out of snow first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom