Buy all equipment before certification classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancade

New
Reaction score
I am taking my classes in June. My biggest dilema is do I buy everything now or do I wait until I have a few dives under my belt? I live on 10 minutes from the Gulf and plan to do alot of diving. If I buy know, I can save $300.00 on a package deal.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Your tastes may change between now and the end of your course-and you'll be armed with a lot of new knowledge. Believe me, there will be another amazing package deal in June to take advantage of. For what it's worth, I think you'll be happier if you wait

I would wait until after the class also. Read all you can on here about the different types of gear, scuba gear is expensive and buying something to save $300 then hating it and replacing it gets even more expensive. There will be other package deals and maybe once you get certified you can get your shop to put a custom package together for you so you get exactly what you want and still save. It never hurts to ask them to do that for you.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ask your dive shop if they will allow you to exchange it for a different piece if it doesn't fit you correctly in your class. The shop I use allows people to buy the gear and then if it does't perform as they wanted the person can exchange it for something else. Good luck and welcome!

The world is full of dive package deals. And what "saves you $300" can probably be had $1000 cheaper online. Personally, I'd do a lot of homework here and go through the cert process and make sure you really want to dive a lot. Picking the right gear for you takes a fair bit of research and this board is perfect for gear homework. I'm glad I chose all my gear after educating myself rather than buying whatever package my instructing shop wanted to sell me. Lots of different options out there.

Have fun in your cert classes and welcome to scubaboard! :D

Yeah, I'd do the research. Package deals aren't going to go away, so it may be better to experiment with see what you like first.

The purpose of the package deal is to arouse the emotion in you to buy immediately. I'm glad you were smart enough to be more logical about it. It's nice to have your own gear, but nobody expects you to have it before your first dives.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Personally, I'd do a lot of homework here and go through the cert process and make sure you really want to dive a lot. Picking the right gear for you takes a fair bit of research and this board is perfect for gear homework. I'm glad I chose all my gear after educating myself rather than buying whatever package my instructing shop wanted to sell me. Lots of different options out there.

I agree 100% with Humuh....(ya know the rest!). Study, learn, take your course in rental gear, rent a time or too to confirm/modify your decision, make sure you like diving ... and then buy.

Welcome!

It made me feel much more comfortable having my own mask, snorkel, boots/fins, etc. for my checkout dives, but I waited until afterwards to buy the more expensive stuff. I felt that even if I didn't complete my training I'd have great gear for snorkeling!

Luckily, my husband found a 7mm wetsuit on sale for me before my dives. (All the "Sink the Stink" in the world wasn't going to make me feel comfortable about wearing a used wetsuit...) It's probably pretty warm where you're at. Are you going to need any type of suit for your open water stuff?

Best wishes,
Trish

Cancade:
I am taking my classes in June. My biggest dilema is do I buy everything now or do I wait until I have a few dives under my belt? I live on 10 minutes from the Gulf and plan to do alot of diving. If I buy know, I can save $300.00 on a package deal.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Wait...There are always deals...:D

Cancade,

I waited, but my buddy didn't.

My buddy Dennis bought everything before we started class. His rational was that he wanted to train on the gear that he would be diving with. That was reasonable logic, and it was good for him to get comfortable with his gear.

However, after we got certified and began diving, his thoughts changed. He started seeing other people's gear on dive boats and in dive shops. He discovered what he liked and disliked about his gear. He understood more about what was good and what wasn't good (for him). He refined he ideas about diving and his needs came into clearer focus. He has since replaced virtually every piece of gear that he initially purchased, with only a couple exceptions. (He still swears by the Henderson Gold Core wetsuit and the Apollo Bio-fins) In fact he is on his 3rd or 4th BC and his second set of Regulators.

I took a different route. I rented for the first 9 - 10 months before I bought "everything". Of course I had to have the required personal gear before I started, but the rest of the stuff had to wait.

While we were doing dives, I made mental notes about what I liked about the rental gear, and what I wished that I had. I talked to other people about their gear, and what they liked and didn't like. I looked at gear in shops with a newfound understanding of what I might use and what was worthless trappings.

I ended up deciding what I wanted, and then worked out a solid deal with a local shop. So far I have replaced my snorkel (I think I have about 6?) and the gloves I use for cold water. I have added some pieces of gear, and I purchased some back-ups, but essentially I am using the same gear that I started with.

Now 4 years later I am seriously considering get a BP (or two), and I am saving for a Drysuit. However, my regs are good, my fins and mask are fine.

There are reasonable arguments for both sides of the "buy or rent for training" discussion. It is a very personal issue regarding finances & commitment etc. I would just recommend waiting and learning and then putting the new knowledge to use and buy gear that will provide you years of service without second thoughts.

Just my opinions, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom