Back to diving after too many years off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all...What a great board this is. Full of very nice and helpful people! I'm just getting back into scuba diving after many years off. I'm just finishing up getting re-certified to bring me up to speed as to the changes in the sport. BC'S what a cool addition these are to the sport verses the old horse collers! I am kinda saddened to find out your no longer supposed to use your knife to fight off enemy divers and man eating sea creatures! Dosen't that kinda take some of the fun out of it?..Hee..hee. Ok so we have gone from knifes to scissors...I can live with that. I'm going to Hawaii June 19th. That's what lit the fire to get back into things. I'm glad to be back!

Getting re-certified is a good thing to do! How many years has it been? You're gonna be amazed at the changes. And just so you know...you can still stab something with shears, you just have to stab harder is all! And they cut through hoses WAY faster than a knife does. ;^)

Have a great time in Hawaii and be sure to give us a detailed report when you get back.

Thanks for the welcome. It's been 25 years off. (I started young..=:{)I worked as a sea urchin diver for about a year and after I stopped working that job I never went diving again. It had become a job. I would have been back sooner but you know.. kids..house..cars..ect. So to say the least things have changed..."what no J valve..computers..you carry 2 second stages?" It's nice to see that the sport has gotten safer with better gear and procedures. It will be interesting to visit some of the old dive spots here in So Cal and see how they have changed...this scares me somewhat. Hopefully not 25 years of damage! Looking forward to lot's of great new diving adventures. Now I get to go with my son! He doesn't have a handle here yet so let's see I think I'll call him SEA SLUG..hee..hee

Sea Monkey,

Welcome aboard the Board! We used to go jeeping in the So.Cal. desert--and down in Baja. Haven't had a jeep for over 8 years, but I remember my favorite supplier--Dick Cepek. All his stuff was "Baja Proven". Is he still around?

Scuba diving is a lot cleaner than jeeping!

Again, Welcome--and don't let IguanaDon scare you: he lives almost 1500 miles away!

Joewr

Yes Dick Cepek is still around. Your right Joewr, diving is cleaner than Jeep'n in the desert but I'm sure we all like to get a little dirty at times!

Are they still selling those from the back of comic books?
What memories you have unlocked.If you feel the need to remonice then I'm sure you can hook up a couple of leads to your B.C. to make it feel like a horse collar.I haven't used one of those since '86.All these memories are giving me a hankering for some hay...heheheheh

Welcome to the board Sea Monkey ...........from the Scubagibbon..tehe

Hello there Scuba Monkey, there's plenty of us here in Sunny SoCal, drop a line, perhaps we can arrange a lil tour for ya!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom