Back to diving after 5 long years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hiya,

Just wanted to say a big harlow to all you divers who share the same love and passion for diving. I first took up diving 5 years ago, but due to some other heavy commitments and responsibilities during the last 4 years, I had to give it up temporarily ;-(

A couple of months back, I met up with a German diver who gently persuaded me to go diving again - my first dive after 5 years was an absolute disaster! Giant stride entry into the waters without holding on to my mask....needless to say, it was lost in the deep blue sea, and I felt like a damn fool in front of the other experienced divers. I apologised for holding everyone up as they tried search and recovery, everyone were mostly kind and understanding (with the exception of one patronizing remark).

In retrospect, it is always good to do a refresher course before going on a dive trip - in fact, this was my refresher in preparation for a tougher dive trip the following month - would have felt more comfortable with some pool sessions. The next few dives were better, and I started gaining back confidence, the DM and my fellow divers watched out and helped me along during tough moments.

Went on another couple of dives, and got my Advanced Cert along the way. Each dive is exhilerating! You never know what you will find - even a so-called "bad" dive has its moments. It's an incredible world underwater, and one should never take it for granted. I simply cannot understand so-called "experienced" divers who act so blase about certain dive sites which they deem "boring" and who look upon novice and OW divers with contempt. It is simply delightful to be able to exchange diving tales and experiences with fellow divers who share that same passion for diving.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a note anytime - if you happen to be passing through Southeast Asia and need a dive buddy, do let me know too - there's lots of fab diving places in the region!

Happy diving!! =-x

Asiandivergal

Welcome Asiandivergal.

Where are you in SE Asia? I'm in Bangkok, just came back from a great weekend diving near Chumphon.

I agree with you completely that more experienced divers should not look down on beginners - fortunately for me, I've never had that experience. Been far too spoiled with the dives I've done so far.

Anyway, you've come to the most fun and interesting place to be when you're not in the water. Enjoy it and keep telling us your stories.

Cheers
:)

love the signon name --- I had thought (very briefly)to use CanadianDivingGal but it was just waaaaaay to much typing.

Welcome to the best place to do your surface interval, and a warm greeting from Canada.

Hello Asiandivergal, welcome back to diving, and thus our family. Do tell, how did the rest of the dive go that day?

Welcome ADG!
I can't wait to make it back to your part of the world! There's just way too much to do & see!

-kate

Hi Alison, Diving Gal, Mario and Kate,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm based in Singapore - diving here is nothing much to shout about - visibility is about 1-1.5m (on a good day) with strong currents, a real pity coz the marine life is actually very good - if only you can spot them :) good training grounds though - if you are able to feel comfortable in such conditions, once you hit pristine dive sites, you will have a higher level of confidence and appreciation.

Alison: Thailand's a great place to dive (according to friends) Where have you dived, and which rate tops? Have heard a great deal about The Similans and Burma Bank - as well as the extremely mixed reviews regarding Koh Tao - what's the current situation?

My friend and I were once on a dive trip (before getting our AOW), and one of the dive instructors threw us a look of contempt when he found out that we were only OW - he refused to let us join his group of divers (who were AOW). I can understand how he feels, especially if the group is checking out a particular tough site not meant for novice divers, or if they were planning to do a wreck or deep dive - but I sure don't appreciate his attitude.

DivingGal: Canada's great! Hope to visit next year and maybe a longer stay sometime within the next 3 years or so - what's the diving scene like? Lots of cold water diving i presume?

Mario - had to abort the first dive, coz the currents were quite strong, and no-one was able to locate my mask :( while waiting for everyone, it started to rain....interestingly, they found my mask nearing the end of the dive!

the next (and my first) dive was quite good - had some shaky moments - difficulties equalising and problems with buoyancy control - but saw my first black-tip reef shark heheh also caught sight of a shy turtle and a huge puffer fish (could not really remember the rest as I was too excited trying to adjust to the feeling of being underwater after so long). Remembered the DM raving about the shark - and all i could think of was: how come i used up the air so quickly?? :)

Kate: you are so right! I am so near to some fantastic dive sites here, yet trying to squeeze in 1 dive trip a month is simply so draining! days of leave and financial resources are limited, and trying to choose one place to visit at a time - is simply torturous! malaysia, thailand, philippines and indonesia - decisions decisions decisions!

DivingGal: Canada's great! Hope to visit next year and maybe a longer stay sometime within the next 3 years or so - what's the diving scene like? Lots of cold water diving i presume?

Cold is all a relative term. If you consider anything below 80F (25C) cold, then yes it's cold. But if you want a dive season (and not just a few days) you have to be prepared to dive in water in almost any temp - you just wear the appropriate exposure suit. Typically around me (Ottawa, Ontario) water temps range from 40-49F (4-10C) to as warm as 80-82F (26-27C).

Try to get to Ottawa, and I'll take you diving in the St Lawrence River.

I know it well grasshopperette.Been there twice and completely understand the visibility.I swam on the beach on Sentosa and got a rash from all the oil spilt from an oil tanker leak in 1997.But is was soooo hot and the water park was closed and noone thought to put notices out on the beginning of the cable car before we went across.Who cares...had a great time.I want to check out Kurong next time.Did the night safari.Awesome.My friends and I were feeling rebellious so in extreme danger to our personages we decided to shatter the no littering laws of Singapore in fear of a $1000 dollar fine and launched hand folded paper planes from the 16th floor of the hotel onto the road below.
Some soared...others dropped like a stone...but the rebel inside stood tall and proud....Neeeahahahahahaha!
Welcome aboard ADG.
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

ADG - I've just recently certified so have only dived in the same area - 13 logged so far. It's called Ban Krut/Bang Sapan - 4 hours south of Bangkok or an hour north of Chumphon(where you get the boat to Koh Tao), a secluded area with only one dive centre (my cousin's). No-one has heard of it, not even the Thais so you can imagine how great it is to be the only people on the boat (my sis & I) and our group of maybe 4-5 the only one in the water. I have never experienced hordes of divers... hence my being spoilt! In my limited experience, I think these sites are great for newbies and people who haven't dived for a while. There is a lot to see and the water is relatively easy to dive in, currents not strong etc. (Season ends in September until end NOvember)

I'm going on a liveaboard to Similan in Feb with 20 friends. Can't wait for this as I know it will be amazing. Burma Banks are too apparently, but we're not going that far this time. My cuz used to teach on Koh Tao but she left and moved to Ban Krut because of over-diving and lack of tourism control and care for the environment - the Thai syndrome. Apparently there is a big crown-of-thorns infestation there too so all the coral is being eaten. Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer conches from one spot to another? We saw many last weekend and thought that we could take a few over to Koh Tao to eat the c-o-thorns.

RE: your dive masters being condescending - shouldn't they know what level you are before you start? And again I agree, while they may not want to take you to a more difficult site, they should not treat you with contempt - I think a good dive operator should be able to accommodate all levels as long as they have prior knowledge of them.(MHO)

Aaaanyway, ADG - come and dive Thailand sometime! I don't think I'm ready for the strong currents of Sing just yet, but would love to see the marine life around there.

(Gman - you never stop, do you?? Hyuck, hyuck :p)

Originally posted by DivingGal
Cold is all a relative term. If you consider anything below 80F (25C) cold, then yes it's cold. But if you want a dive season (and not just a few days) you have to be prepared to dive in water in almost any temp - you just wear the appropriate exposure suit. Typically around me (Ottawa, Ontario) water temps range from 40-49F (4-10C) to as warm as 80-82F (26-27C).

Try to get to Ottawa, and I'll take you diving in the St Lawrence River.

by gosh!! yes that's cold!! I normally use only a 0.5mm suit to dive, and that is considered a little warm sometimes...will have to try diving in canada, sure would be an interesting experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom