Best way to get open water certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello from Washington, D.C.!

I am new to scuba and these boards... like most of the others. I'm hoping a few experts are "lurking" and can respond.

My husband and I have each completed 3 dives in 2 years. We are ready to get certified because we are getting a little tired with the discover scuba training every time.

We are headed to Belize August 23rd. We've missed the local certification opportunities. However, it looks like we can do the PADI e-learning and then get a referral for the dives and certification one we are in Belize.

Here is where the questions come in:
  • What do we do? It isn't clear from the PADI website. When we enroll in the online learning do we choose the dive center in Ambergris or the local D.C. dive center and then get the referral from the D.C. dive center and take it with us to Belize?
  • Any advice from those who have done the online training and referral?
  • Any recommendations on dive centers in Ambergris that may be particularly strong in certification? What should we look for/avoid in a shop?
Thanks!
Rebecca

Welcome Aboard !
If time permits, take the class and pool on site with your LDS and then do a referral on vacation.
Don't know much about the new e-learning program.

I'm at Splash Dive Center. We could get this done easily before your trip. Drop me a line or call the shop to get scheduled.

rebeccascritchfield:
[*]What do we do? It isn't clear from the PADI website. When we enroll in the online learning do we choose the dive center in Ambergris or the local D.C. dive center and then get the referral from the D.C. dive center and take it with us to Belize?
You'd link your training to the dive centre in Ambergris, that way they can see how you're progressing too. Once you get to your holiday dive centre, you just have to do a quick academic review, then you can get straight into the in-water training.

Welcome aboard. You have already got some good advice from others. So I will say ditto. Just do it. Whatever IT ends up being. Have fun.

smilies-35308.png

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP above to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Back
Top Bottom