New diver on the threshold of certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waja25

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I am on the verge of doing my open water certification. Obviously, I am now doing some research into the bewildering array of dive equipment available out there. I don't think that I will have to much difficulty purchasing masks, fins, etc. but the bigger ticket items (BCD, reg) are the issue.

My budget for the these purchases is rather modest, so any advice, etc. will be most appreciated. Some of the questions I have are:

1. What manufacturers, etc. are to be avoided?
2. Where can I get the best bang for my buck, i.e. reputable online retailers?
3. Suggestions for the type of equipment that I should get.

My plans are to do my open water here in Canada, then do my advanced diver cert in South Africa over the December holidays. I would like to take my own BCD and reg with me.

Thanks all, keenly awaiting the replies.

waja25:
Hi All,

I am on the verge of doing my open water certification. Obviously, I am now doing some research into the bewildering array of dive equipment available out there. I don't think that I will have to much difficulty purchasing masks, fins, etc. but the bigger ticket items (BCD, reg) are the issue.

My budget for the these purchases is rather modest, so any advice, etc. will be most appreciated. Some of the questions I have are:

1. What manufacturers, etc. are to be avoided?
2. Where can I get the best bang for my buck, i.e. reputable online retailers?
3. Suggestions for the type of equipment that I should get.

My plans are to do my open water here in Canada, then do my advanced diver cert in South Africa over the December holidays. I would like to take my own BCD and reg with me.
Thanks all, keenly awaiting the replies.

Welcome! I, personally won't suggest any particular brands.You should research & buy whatever fits & is most comfortable to you. I would suggest to you to buy the best you can afford. If the opportunity presents itself try out several different brands (by renting or borrowing) & see what works for you. Everyone is an individual so what works for 1 person, might not work for you. Fit, comfort & performance for what you want to do with the equipment should be the key things to look for. As for what type of equipment, it all depends on what your long range plans are. By what you've typed, it appears like right now, you are planning on going with the recreational rout. Nothing wrong with that at all. I thought the same thing until earlier this year when a lot of diving buddies encouraged me to look into technical diving. Now I'm slowly getting into technical diving &, yep, you guessed it, more & different gear, which means more $. If you have even an inkling of what you may want to do in the next few years with your diving, you may look into that particular style of diving equipment, to save yourself later. If you do this though, make sure you get proper training &/or guidance on how to use it or any unfamiliar gear for that matter, although many of the principles are the same, it can be very different in a lot of ways too. If you are unsure & feel that you will most likely stay with recreational diving then stay with that kind of gear. As for LDS vs. Internet to buy gear..... Well, you can find a lot of good buys on the internet, but if you get it form the internet you need to research some things first.One is to find out is there any warranty with the item? How will it be honored? Can you get the item easily serviced near you, if needed? If it is used, is it in good condition? Been abused? Been serviced regularly? By getting your gear through your LDS you may spend some extra bucks, but it does several things: it keeps the LDS in business for the service of your gear, air fills, rentals, instruction & courses. I know the LDS's around me will service internet bought items, but will not honor warranty work & tend to charge a slightly higher fees for service on internet bought items. Just giving you a few things to consider based on mistakes & good choices I & those around me have made.

Thanks Tammy, that makes sense and you are right, I do intend to go recreational (at this point in time, that is).

I just found a LDS that offers "demo days" to try out the various equipment. I think I'll give them a go.

Cheers.

Warren.

Good gear can be purchased if you do your homework. Go to a local shop and see if they sell package deals. Like a BCD, computer, a set of regs all for a lower price. Normally shops want you business so a lot of them do it that way. Buy all your equipment (big ticket items) from a local shop, that way if there is a problem they will switch it out for you. Talk to your local shop and see what they will do for you in the case of a problem. I had a problem with a VT pro computer and my local shop gave me another one off the shelf and took mine back and they delt with the MFG. Don't buy any item that requires a fit or a computer over the internet! There is a boatload of computers that were purchased overseas and never intended for the North American market. They were defective and the MFGer wanted them pulled. Someone bought them and started peddling them on the internet. I know someone who purchased one and when it failed the MFG wouldn't honor the warrantee cause it wasn't supposed to be sold. Maybe your local shop will sell you a set of reg's that they use for training or an older rental set for cheap.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Good to have you around.

happy014.gif

Hi and welcome to Scubaboard!!

Welcome.

Listen to the veterans on this board. I have only been certified for a year and these people have helped imensely.

My advice...buy nothing online until you have tried it out.

Remember: You are not buying recreational gear...you are buying a life support system.

Welcome to SB. There's a lot of great info here, especially on equipment. Enjoy.

smilies-35308.png

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

don
bananaskipper.gif

Back
Top Bottom