Diving with floating compressor? No tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwjdo

New
Reaction score
30 years ago my uncle dove with a long hose hooked to an air compressor which floated on top of the water and it "pushed" air down the hose so he could breathe.
Could a person dive like this without a compressor? There's air in the hose so you breathe that in by your mouth and exhale through your nose. Would this work if you're only diving less than 20 feet?

Welcome to the board.
Your describing hooka diving. Most likely your uncle had a Brownie third lung....and believe it or not they are still in business. Brownie's Third Lung

While not exactly scuba diving, many of the same things that can KILL you while diving scuba are also just as deadly on hooka, requardless of what Brownie tells you. These things no doubt can be fun and safe, it's a very good idea to have a scuba certification to go along with it.....so you understand the dangers and how to deal with them.

To answer the original question...NO. Without the compressor, a 20 foot hose is a 20 foot snorkle. Because of the increase in ambient pressure with depth a snorkle will not work any deeper than 1 to 2 feet as the work of breathing would quickly become exhausting.

Welcome to the 'board.
I have "hooka dove" before and It has it's place but only good for shallower dives and is only allows you to go as far as the hose is long. And as "stevead" allready stated, without the compressor and regulators, your lungs would not be able to suck in air through a hose of any substantial length and the further your depth the harder to do so.

Welcome to the board!

Here are some tips to make your time at Scubaboard a fantastic experience:

1. Fill out your profile. This lets us get to know you! Who knows, maybe there are others out there who share your love of underwater basket weaving!

2. Check out the forum on Scubaboard that is specific to your geographical location.

3. Don't hesitate to ask any dive-related questions you may have. There WILL be someone here who knows the answer. There also may be people who are sarcastic or attempt to make you feel silly for asking questions. Keep in mind that Scubaboard is like a salad bar. Take what you like and leave the rest!

4. When available, really get involved IN PERSON. Several of us regularly attend local functions where we dive and dine together. It really does enhance your Scubaboard experience!

Welcome!

Its the best way for archeoligie consturction or any else positional diving;take a

smal tank with as savety its not save without one.

E.L.7*

A Hooka rig uses a compressor on the surface that feeds a SCUBA second stage. As stated the depth is limited by the length of the hose, but also by the volume that the hose can deliver at its length and the depth you are at. The longer and/or deeper you go, the bigger the hose has to be to get the volume you need. Many of the old double hose regulators like the Aqua Master and Royal Aqua Master had Hooka ports to be supplied by a compressor.

The Brownie’s system is used a lot where long duration dives are done in shallow water. I have used them when I was much younger cleaning boat bottoms. We had the compressor in a dink and just swam from boat to boat when they were close together, never having to get out of the water. I have also seen them used for gold mining in shallow streams where an air lift is guided by divers around rocks in shallow creeks and streams.

But, what you describe sounds like using a regular air tool compressor to feed an open hose. The open hose system has been used for many years by the “Mermaids” at the underwater shows down in Florida. But without a good filter system is required or you will be breathing some oil which can really screw up your lungs and/or lead to death.

Finally, if you scale up the compressor, get surface support, add a Kirby Morgan Helmet or Band mask, mix in a lot of training, you will have a commercial surface supplied rig. This type of rig has almost no depth limit and are used with diving bells and such down to 1,000 feet and deeper.

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm looking for a cheap way to dive around 15 to 20 feet in freshwater lakes. Got any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom