Diver Newbie - Looking for diver certification ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchie75

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Divers! Looks like I've found a great resource here! :)

I'd like to plan a trip for my husband and I for 2009 to obtain our Diver's Certification, from PADI most likely. We'd probably do the schooling from home, and the dives at the destination.

My questions are the following:
- What destination is your best recommendation?
- Best time of year for diving in that location?
- Are there any specific resorts that accomodate divers more than others in that location?

We are initially thinking Jamaica because my husband has been there and absolutely LOVES it. He's a pretty good diver - even without his certification. I've only been once so far- in Punta Cana, DR. Not great diving in DR compared to other destinations, I'm sure, but still a fantastic experience, leaving me wanting more.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cayenayedaye aye? hehe (that was canada) i personally just want to note that Hawaii is amazing dive sport if you wanted to keep in nice and warm, and anytime of the year works. note* everything there is cheaper during the winter.

been a while since i ve been to ontario, but i would go to Learn to Scuba Dive at Canada's Premiere Dive Centre and they can help you there, it's based out of toronto suburb. now where u go for your checkouts is all depending on what kind of diving u want and what there is to do during your surface interval. me i got certified in the north atlantic and never dove down south.

also i apologize for grammar and punctuation, typing with my one month old son in my other arm.

Key Largo is good in the late fall after the crowd is gone. I have found Ocean Divers to be a good charter. The G. Cayman Is. in the winter or early spring before spring brake. Why wait till 2009? That is a lot of missed diving.

[c]
howdy.gif
[/c]

Dang, I'd rather dive the Thousand Islands there than Jamaica. But do both, Brockville this year. :wink:

Welcome to SB! Click Forums at the top and start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help...??

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Captain Walt - I have to wait until 2009 because I'm 4 months pregnant right now. I'll need time to have this baby and become accostomed to motherhood before I venture under water again. :) But I can still have fun planning!

LOL man I stepped in it. Congratulations. Well have fun planning for your trip, and for the little diver. I am waiting for my daughter to visit, she has been diving sense she was 8 she's 15 and plans her trips with me. She is my best dive buddy, so understand I am happy for you and your husband. What ever you do, once you are certified the world of adventure is yours; it can become a Passion.
I run a dive boat in Savannah Mako Dive Charter. It is a small operation. After y'all are certified and gain experience, you should look me up. Offshore Savannah is good diving, but it is not resort diving.

Wow! Your girl started diving when she was 8? In all seriousness...given the attention factors that one must pay when diving, how does an 8 year old do it, and how did you keep from freaking out for her safety? I want to get my twin son and daughter into it. My son is the only one with interest, and he's 12. He's comfortable in the water, though not a great lap swimmer. But he's also a scatter-brain. Do kids just deal with things more easily?

She started with SSI SCUBA Ranger's at the age of 8. I loved seeing her take to diving. Her eyes said it all. My son is 12 and has also been doing it for a few years. This is the last year he can do SCUBA Rangers and I am encouraging him to Junior O/W certify this summer. It is his choice. Go to your local shop and inquire about junior programs. My daughter wants to be a Marian Biologist at this time. LOL Who knows.......she will find what she wants and I will encourage it. You will be surprised how they take to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom