Any tips on diving in San Andres Island, Colombia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Es

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody! It's been a while!
I'm going to San Andres next Sunday and I wonder if you've been there and you can give me some tips.
Cheers,

Karen

welcome
the whole group from my dive shop are there right now!!!
from what they post,they're having a riot
they won't be home 'til fri.- so not much help
we have classes fri. nite,so i'll post you sat am
good luck!!!

If my memory serves me correctly, there are several past threads on this very subject. I had thought of going there myself a few years ago (and heard very positive things about it), but am not sure I count it as a South American dive site... which is what I'm looking for to help complete my sweep of all seven continents.

welcome
the whole group from my dive shop are there right now!!!
from what they post,they're having a riot
they won't be home 'til fri.- so not much help
we have classes fri. nite,so i'll post you sat am
good luck!!!
Oh, great! I will be reading your post on Saturday, then!
Thanks!

If my memory serves me correctly, there are several past threads on this very subject. I had thought of going there myself a few years ago (and heard very positive things about it), but am not sure I count it as a South American dive site... which is what I'm looking for to help complete my sweep of all seven continents.
Dr Bill,
It certainly counts as South American dive site!

Well, if San Andres counts, so should Bonaire! Yes, I know San Andres belongs to Columbia, and is therefore politically part of South America, but it is located geographically off Nicaragua and therefore Central (North) American. By the logic that makes San Andres South American, Bonaire should probably be a European dive site!

Seriously, I know San Andres is recognized as a South American dive site and I may just end up going there anyway since there is also a Santa Catalina Island in the group.

just saw pics from the trip-you're going to love it-great viz!!!
even some of the fussy folks had no complaints
zip line jungle was big hit with all-cpt. morgans haunt also
stingray encounter was also a must do
lots of wall dives-loads of nurse sharks
let us know your take when you get back-enjoy!!!

Close to Central America yes but Columbia it is South America, have fun and take care also:arrr::pirate::pirate2::pirate6::icosm07:

Santa Catalina af a fur piece from San Andres, we have has the Spree in both places. There really isn't a place in Santa Catalina, it's too small to be a place, it's more like "over there". I know the mayor fairly well. Like many caribbean islands, the locals subsistance fish for their dinner. They also recognize tourism as an industry, so they do set aside areas where fishing is not allowed. That's where the dive sites are. The main city in San Andres is fairly modern (I was able to find anything I needed to keep a 30 year old dive boat running), many parts were european in manufacture. We had a great time supporing the Ocean Conservancy project to study the outer atolls near San Andres, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Frank

just saw pics from the trip-you're going to love it-great viz!!!
even some of the fussy folks had no complaints
zip line jungle was big hit with all-cpt. morgans haunt also
stingray encounter was also a must do
lots of wall dives-loads of nurse sharks
let us know your take when you get back-enjoy!!!
J Yaeger,
You're my genius right now! Great news! I've never ever dived with stingrays and sharks, so I'm thrilled (though my boyfriend won't dive because of that).
I really thank you for the info, I'm looking forward to diving in S Andres and bring some great info back!

Cheers!
(Happy) Karen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom