passed test and got sign offs today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belle67

Reaction score
# of dives
Guess now I am ready to do open water training dives.

Only missed 2 questions on test... one was my stupid error coloring in the wrong cirlce, the other was on first aid treatment of stings, I said use cold water... should have been warm water... guess all in all that wasn't bad. It's still a 96% So I should be proud of that.

Unfortunately I beat myself up about missing the stupid question concerning dive boots. ( I knew the answer... that is what gets me) And it effected my pool review.

Yeah I know. I should have left that one at the surface.

Anyways. I freaked out when I took my mask off underwater because i couldnt see and then i felt water going into my nose. Ended up floating on the surface..... :dork2:
Which of course i beat myself up about..... I did manage to get myself back together and do all the other things properly.... just was a bit nervy because then I had made 2 errors today.... yes I am very hard on myself...

Anyways, I managed to get my sign offs. I will be revisting the pool to get myself thinking second nature about everything for the ow.

Now I am one step closer to being a bonified diver... That I do feel good about.

-Tricia

Congratulations on completing what you have so far!
Good luck with the rest of your quizzes and skills:jump:

Congratulations on completing what you have so far!
Good luck with the rest of your quizzes and skills:jump:
Thanks dear I much appreciate it!

This is the only time I have had any problems... and then to do it during my last class!? ***! Is this a common thing?

Thanks dear I much appreciate it!

This is the only time I have had any problems... and then to do it during my last class!? ***! Is this a common thing?

there is a lot of pressure during classes - especially if you have a large class and everyone else "seems" to be getting through their skills easily. take your time, always remember: Stop, Breathe, Act. it doesnt matter if you have to prepare yourself for a few seconds before a skill, never rush it.
keep your chin tucked to your chest to prevent any water from going up your nose - it cant go uphill. go slow, mentally walk yourself through the steps of your skill and then do them. everytime you get in the pool practice your mask skills....it is critical to be comfortable in the event that your mask gets knocked off.
this is all coming from someone that was petrified of water in their face..i learned to dive before i learned to swim. my instructor said that the look on my face the first time he told me to flood my mask was priceless. i remember shaking my head and saying "no way!" now - im a DiveMaster helping others with the same fears.

best of luck with your certification!

there is a lot of pressure during classes - especially if you have a large class and everyone else "seems" to be getting through their skills easily. take your time, always remember: Stop, Breathe, Act. it doesnt matter if you have to prepare yourself for a few seconds before a skill, never rush it.
keep your chin tucked to your chest to prevent any water from going up your nose - it cant go uphill. go slow, mentally walk yourself through the steps of your skill and then do them. everytime you get in the pool practice your mask skills....it is critical to be comfortable in the event that your mask gets knocked off.
this is all coming from someone that was petrified of water in their face..i learned to dive before i learned to swim. my instructor said that the look on my face the first time he told me to flood my mask was priceless. i remember shaking my head and saying "no way!" now - im a DiveMaster helping others with the same fears.

best of luck with your certification!
I was taking a private class... so I think *I* had put extra pressure on myself to do very well. I have to realize that I have not done this before and I will not be perfect all the time! heheh

But yes, as you have probally figured out, i did not have my chin tucked down... as the natural response for me is to RAISE my head when I take off my mask at the surface... geesh. It is no wonder. I will try this again at some point incase an emergency like that does occur. You are right, it is always a possibility that it could happen and I need to stay calm and remember my training... panic can make everything much worse. I am just thankful this happened in a pool and not in 50' of water or so! phew!

This also was the first time I had ever had my mask off underwater. Clearing was good for me... but taking it completely off just did something to me!

I appreciate your help and understanding! I am starting to fel better now :>

Don't let your midwest open water dives scare you off.

I have lived from Alaska to Hawaii and now Florida, certified and grew up in California. I have been certified since 74, I thought I knew what a thermocline was,... I was wrong,...you can actually see it in the midwest. You guys have the coldest water on the planet.

Let me know if you fly south to dive, I'll probably hit a spring or pass this week

This is a friend of mine that shows up at St Andrews , .. I think he recognizes my boat engine

Dolphin_boat_smilling.jpg

[/IMG]

Don't let your midwest open water dives scare you off.

I have lived from Alaska to Hawaii and now Florida, certified and grew up in California. I have been certified since 74, I thought I knew what a thermocline was,... I was wrong,...you can actually see it in the midwest. You guys have the coldest water on the planet.

Let me know if you fly south to dive, I'll probably hit a spring or pass this week

This is a friend of mine that shows up at St Andrews , .. I think he recognizes my boat engine

[/IMG]
I know that living where I do I am going to have to get used to the colder waters or not dive... not diving is NOT an option. I will just have to make sure I have the right exposure equipment to not feel chilled. Yes taking a trip to the warmer weather from time to time will be nice.

From what it sounds like right now my first REAL dive (after ow) will be in the upper pennisula Mi, then some local dives around the mid Michigan area... In Jan or Feb I should be going to Puerto Valarte (Mayan Resort) for a week. That should be nice and cozy!

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard! :colouredsmilies: Congrats on getting your sign-offs done. I commend you on being able to recognize what is going wrong with your skills in water, now you just have to work on not letting past things bother you! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom