Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdtidwell

New
Reaction score
I am looking at 2 trips.
August-my nephew (17) and I (54) am looking at going to Bonaire or some other warm place to dive. Anyone been to Bonaire? or do you have a suggestion for 2 newbie divers to visit to see lots of fish? We want warm water and we are both very safe.

September-I am going to the keys with my friend (a nondiver) to stay in Isle of Madora (spell?) Does anyone know of a good company in the upper keys?
Brenda
I am a new user on the board so it may take me a while to learn how to respond.

Hello, and welcome to the boards. There are lots of boards, and they can sometimes be a little tricky on how to navigate, i.e., where to search, where to post, etc.

For what you are asking, you probably want to look at the boards in the "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs" area, specifically, the board entitled "Florida Conch Divers." They are the experts on Florida diving. I have not been diving in Florida myself, but am interested in doing so. I have been perusing that board, and they are very active. Maybe post your questions there, and see what you can find out.

Good luck.

I was certified in Key Largo last August. My dive center used Rainbow Reef and they have offices in both Key Largo and Islamorada. They seemed fine but since we have a boat full (instructors and DMs) from our dive shop (in Atlanta), the Key Dives folks didn't really have much to do.

Then in September (2007) I went back to the keys. This time we stayed in Islamorada and dove with Key Dives. They were excellent.

I think you mean Islamarada. Of course I think our shop does a great job. We have lots of shallow reefs and some great wrecks... We are in the upper keys.
Many dives in the keys will fill the bill for your diving adventure.
Hope to see you in the fabulous Florida keys

0112.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo:
fbottom3.gif

The Keys are still one of the places close to my heart. The Keys have made a huge come back when we are talking fish ... you won't be sorry.

Any operater in the Keys are really good are they wouldn't have their doors open. I always recommend Silent World Diving based in Key Largo has smaller boats that hold up to 12 divers which is great. They aren't cattle boats, to get lost in the shuffle. So, it's easier to please a smaller amount of divers. Captain Bob knows the places to dive, tell him what you want to see and it's on.

If you'd like anything else are need help you can ask for Pat, she's been an Instructor a long time and knows the upper Keys also and instructs for Silent World. On the Board she goes by MSPARAMEDIC.

I know everyone is really good in the Keys but when you have a great dive after dive you don't tend to move around. I dive Silent World for littler boats and helpful hands and with new students they are in no rush, Ocean Divers to go to the wrecks they have bigger boats and have runs everyday. In Key West we always find ourself on the Sea Eagle (James Bond Fame) with Captain's Corner. The owner is such a cool lady and has been there forever and fun to talk to.

Hi Brenda!

Welcome to Scubaboard! If we at Silent World, can help with your dives--please let us know. Your non-diver friend may want to snorkel while you dive, and we can accomdate both of you (putting you both on the same boat).

Bob---get on back down here and do some more diving!

Pat

0112.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo:
fbottom3.gif

---snip---

In Key West we always find ourself on the Sea Eagle (James Bond Fame) with Captain's Corner. The owner is such a cool lady and has been there forever and fun to talk to.

How can you not love Leslie!!! She's such a nice person!

But I concur, Captains Corner in KW is great, In Marathon I've used Captain Hook's and they are top notch, and in Key Largo, Blue Water Divers are the best (in my humble little opinion) The Keys have everything you want diving wise, AND great restaurants to boot!

Hey Pat we will be down in your neck of the ocean July 3rd. We are actually thinking really hard to stop in Key Largo for the Grove! Then heading to West. I'll call you when we get there, we are fly'in down in Keith's Chieftan we have 6 so far with 2 seats open yet. Jeff will be with us. No students! Just fun!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from the Keys and was very happy with Rainbow Reef. I chose them because they put a guide in the water at no extra charge, publish a schedule, have a shallow and deep boat and because of the convenience to my hotel (Holiday Inn) and several others. I had wonderful dives Monday. The water was warm (no wetsuit needed) and shallow (20-40ft), the vis was great and the seas were calm. Saw 6 spotted eagle rays swimming in formation, nurse shark swimming along the reef (not just lying on the bottom), reef shark, big green moray eel, lots of big groupers, trumpetfish, honeycomb cowfish and lots of colorful tropical fish and healthy coral. We saw lots of stuff on the dives Tuesday but a tropical weather system had the water stirred up. The waves were rough but the current and surge were really tough. It didn't get better the rest of the week so we drove on to Key West and did the sunset party at Mallory Square and left a day early to do the Everglades on the way home. I buddied up with Suzette (on Scubaboard) who is a local always looking for dive buddy and her husband Alan is a DM at RR and local musician. She even offered to take me kayaking through the mangroves, which I wish I had taken her up on, but I was concerned about the rough water and current.

The folks at Rainbow Reef were very friendly and made me feel very welcome. They put the tanks on the boat and change out the tanks between dives and remove the bc's from the tanks after the dives (unless you want to that yourself). You can stick with the guide or do your own thing. When the first person runs low on air, the guide circles back to the boat so the people low on air can go on up, but the others can stay down as long as they want. I've heard people say that RR runs a cattle boat. I suppose it can get more crowded on a weekend, but we only had 6 on a boat that is built for about 24 on Monday and 12 on Tuesday afternoon. The Tuesday morning boat didn't make, but they arranged for us to go out with nearby Horizon Divers instead. I decided to wait until the afternoon boat. They didn't even take my money for the first dive. They said just wait to see how much I dove that week and I could pay them at the end of the week. If I had done 3 days or 5 days of diving, there would have been additional discounts. You can dive with their other boats in Islamadora as part of a multiday package. The hotels do give coupon books with a 10% discount for Rainbow reef along with several other businesses at that marina.

The Holiday Inn was quite nice. Great pool area with palm trees, tiki torches, tiki bar and hot tub with very powerful jets, good restaurant, comfortable beds. Ramada is closest to RR, but Holiday Inn is also very close. I parked my car near RR and walked around the marina to/from Holiday Inn so I wouldn't have to carry my gear far. They all share a parking lot at the marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom