Another new diver from Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John512

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just finished my OW up 2 weeks ago at Rawlings and found this board through google so decided to join up. I have been watching for a few days and am amazed at how busy it is -- great community you guys have going on!

Now time to keep reading over reviews and looking up some information, I am taking a week long live aboard trip in August with Blackbeards and am looking for a dive computer. Sometimes the internet just has too much information to look at! Right now the aeris T-3 is looking pretty nice, I saw the VT3 but would rather just go with an LDS (even if not my primary one) for it.

Anyways plenty of reading to do and hopefully in time I can start to contribute to the community :)

angelfish.gif
Howdy and Welcome to SB.com!

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help? Helpful Hint: I have UserCP bookmarked as the page I go to first when I come onto SB.

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:
[c]
fbottom1.gif

[/c]

Welcome aboard! I agree that getting the most crucial gear, such as regs, computer, etc., form an LDS is much better, even if the initial cost may be a tad more. Over the life of the gear, it will eventually end up being cheaper if you take the gear to where you bought it from to be serviced. You also get that personal touch and knowledge which can help you get the exact gear you need.

Welcome aboard! I agree that getting the most crucial gear, such as regs, computer, etc., form an LDS is much better, even if the initial cost may be a tad more. Over the life of the gear, it will eventually end up being cheaper if you take the gear to where you bought it from to be serviced. You also get that personal touch and knowledge which can help you get the exact gear you need.
My LDS and I have a very good understanding. I tell them how much I can buy the computer, reg, camera, etc for on the net, and that while I want to buy from them - money talks. They do what they have to to match or beat the price. They may even call their suppliers and insist on better deals and threaten to stop carrying the item if they don't get it, and that works too.

I use Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys for initial price researching, and if needed I buy at one of those. A dive computer requires less servicing that a reg or BC, BTW - and I think the models being considered have battery meters and user changeable batteries. Oceanic/Aires has super customer support. If you have a problem with a computer, you simply phone them, get an RA#, send it in, and get a refurbished one in quick replacement while they take time to check yours out. If under warranty, no charge; if not, small charge. I carry two on every dive and over the years have replaced two out of warranty computers with them for about $100 each.

My LDS and I have a very good understanding. I tell them how much I can buy the computer, reg, camera, etc for on the net, and that while I want to buy from them - money talks. They do what they have to to match or beat the price. They may even call their suppliers and insist on better deals and threaten to stop carrying the item if they don't get it, and that works too.

I use Leisure Pro and Scuba Toys for initial price researching, and if needed I buy at one of those. A dive computer requires less servicing that a reg or BC, BTW - and I think the models being considered have battery meters and user changeable batteries. Oceanic/Aires has super customer support. If you have a problem with a computer, you simply phone them, get an RA#, send it in, and get a refurbished one in quick replacement while they take time to check yours out. If under warranty, no charge; if not, small charge. I carry two on every dive and over the years have replaced two out of warranty computers with them for about $100 each.

That is really good to hear, it is hard to sort through all of the stories but overall it seems like Aeris makes a good product. If my LDS was an Aeris dealer I would end up getting it from him, even if it was a bit more, but I am at least able to get it from another LDS that is only 20 miles away...the good part of living in the city.

The SP smartcom is a nice computer it is just a bit big and pricey, feature wise the T3 seems about equal. Realistically speaking as a new diver and big technology guy I know I would probably never use most of the features. The only reason I am going with one of these is I really want to start off with air integrated, I know many people stop using it after awhile. The first real OW experience I will be getting is a week on a black beards cruise, I already know I will be sucking down more air them most hopefully I can at least more easily watch consumption and time remaining.

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom