Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Prop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Folks,

I'm new to the group. I'm an rugby player with no knees that took up diving while in OZ for the RWC in 2003, though it was something i'd wanted to do for yrs. As a teacher it is a tad expensive of a sport.

I've now been to many parts of the world to dive and hike (well nowadays it is a slow gimping motion).

I'm a college professor now (earth systems science) and usually try to go somewhere in Late Dec thru Jan. I have the whole month off. I'm also a no frills guy. I would prefer to spend my money on a great meal and wine than a fancy hotel room. Yep you guessed it since i wear a 10 mm suit all the time i don't dive w/ one. yeah the Kiwi's flipped out when i jumped in w/ just a shorty. You want cold jump in the Gulf of Maine in April!

I like finding the little hotels and the local restaurants (rarely do i do an AI) and dive shops that keep money in the local economy. very unamerican i know but no country will let me immigrate, plus my language skills are zero - though i can read the menu and order wine and beer in 4 languages. usually after my order people switch to english just so they don't have to hear me butcher their language. though i sat watching a futball game in a little joint well off the beach in cozumel with the owner and it wasn't until the next day when i went back that i found out he spoke less english than i did spanish. beer can help that way.

so if anyone is ever looking for a dive partner and you have january off let me know. I don't do cold water any more though.

Hopefully this years winter adventure will be to Old Providencia in Columbia. Boy have i come to hate winter after the first week.

any feedback on any of these topics is welcome.

cheers - mark a.k.a. old prop

Last edited:
Welcome to the board and the sport. I am fortunate I can beach dive here and keep the cost down to $5.00 per dive and dive every week. The occasional dive boat trip is of course more expensive.

Have you as a teacher discussed your SCUBA diving and how you you take pictures and incorporate your SCUBA diving experience into your classroom to make things more interesting and to teach since and marine biology with your CPA? Who knows, a portion of the cost might be classified as a business expense (doubt it) but you won't know for sure until you ask.

Howdy and Welcome to SB.com!
Big_eyed.gif

You sound fun. Looking forward to seeing you around...

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help? Helpful Hint: I have UserCP bookmarked as the page I go to first when I come onto SB.

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:
[c]
fbottom2.gif

[/c]

Hi Old Prop

Welcome to the Board!

Curious to know where your started your diving in Australia?

Nice to have you aboard.

Cheers

Hi , Old Prop, Welcome, teacher here too, and ... like you, I find diving a bit costly on what they pay us. Still, its worth it. Not a lover of cold water either but as I'm in the UK, no choice. My other half bought me a made to measure trilaminate drysuit and under suit for christmas, wow! wow ! wow! Then I smashed my hand up and haven't been able to dive for months, so haven't even done the dry suit course yet :( Am booked to do my rescue divers in Greece this year ( in 2 weeks) so hoping hand will just about cope. Its my birthday today and I got a nice "happy birfdee" from the site. Anyway Prop, I hope you enjoy the site
Neff x x x

Hi Old Prop

Welcome to the Board!

Curious to know where your started your diving in Australia?

Nice to have you aboard.

Cheers
Now i know this is a small world but this would be too weird even for my life. I learned in Sydney at Coogee and did a LA out of townsville. i had a really good dive master on the boat and she taught me alot - mostly about relaxing and buoyancy. of course i'd have been better off if she'd have let me ditch the wetsuit, since i carry about 20 mm anyway.

now you're going to tell me it was you?

cheers - mark

BTW - union prop here not league but since your all told me yanks didn't know anything about either it doesn't matter - right ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom