Newbie in Raleigh/Morehead City NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wanted to say hello. I have spent my entire life on and around the water and do a ton of fishing, love snorkel and love to swim. I spent some time with my new in-laws and I am really excited about getting into diving. Already have the wetsuit, gloves, mask, snorkel and need BCD, octo, regualtor, tank etc as soon as I get my certification with my wife. I am leaning toward the back inflate BCD but I am going to have to do this on a budget. Any recomendations would be great.

Welcome to the board and to diving. There are a lot of active divers in Raleigh and a couple clubs. The Down Under meeting was last night. The best recommendation I can give is to get your cert, rent/beg/borrow gear and dive for a while. Once you have some time underwater you will have a better idea of what you actually like/need. Come join us at the quarry, most always some of us diving on any Sat or Sun. We are always happy to dive with new divers and help you improve your skills. You can also look over a lot of different equipment and ask direct questions. And for what it's worth, most of us prefer some type of back inflate.

Thanks Herman. I was looking into an edge back inflate BCD from diverssupply.com. I think they are a newer brand but are actually made by a larger brand. I could get the BCD for $200 or the whole "package" for under $500. I have spent some time in a pool with a friends back inflate BCD and really liked how easy it was to stay horizontal.

Boy, since Dandy Don must be off diving in Cozumel I may have a chance to catch up with him on the number of posts (I'm only about 16,000 behind). Welcome to SB. I'm sure Don will greet you himself when he surfaces!

Nick, I just got an email from Gypsy that they are having a big sale on Sat, you might want to drop by and see what they have.

Sorry Herman, Gypsy? I am assuming you mean at the Down Under Surf and Scuba? I was actually in there yesterday evening looking around. It's a nice place.

Welcome aboard

Back
Top Bottom