Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roweboat253

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone! I have dreamed of Scuba diving for some time and I recently went on a cruise to the Southern Caribbean. How beautiful the waters there are! Well I was able to go SNUBA diving with the helmet and totally fell in love with being underwater. Since I've been home I've contacted a few dive shops but they are all pretty far from home. I just found one about 30 minutes away and I'm waiting on them to call me back for pricing and dates on getting certified. Any advice on what to buy first, and any other tips would be appreciated. I've already read the newbie posts on tips from experienced divers, and also the thread on picking an instructor. I'm limited on where I go being PA isnt overflowing with places to Scuba. I live about a mile from a small river that I would like to explore underwater. There is a canoe rental and people are forever flipping their boats and losing their stuff I can't imagine what I will find. Well enough rambling I'll be here awhile and hope to join you guys in the underwater world!

I can't believe I beat Dandy Don in greeting another new member to SB. Welcome to our wild and wacky group. I'm sure Don will be along shortly, if he isn't already posting as I write!

Hi Roweboat,

Welcome. Hope you enjoy ScubaBoard... it has a wealth of information and lots of experienced divers who can help on most anything. I find it a great way to waste my lunch hour!

First things first... there are several certification agencies out there and they are not all the same. If you don't know who they are... just use google! Going with the certification agency affiliated with the dive shop that is geographically closest may seem to make sense now, but you could have second thoughts later. Talk to other divers and get their opinion. Also while you are new at a sport it is hard to imagine where your interest will eventually take you... so at least in a general way look at what the different certification agencies offer for training beyond just the open water level. Please trust me on this one... as I learned the hard way from my own personal experience... not all instructors are the same. Some are good, some are great, some are to be avoided at all cost. Check out the dive shop and your instructor before you sign up for classes!

Advice as to what to buy first? Well you can buy new, buy used, or rent. Maybe even borrow here and there. Take your time... don't hurry. Look at what other divers use, ask for their recommendations and experience with various brands and models. My first purchase would definitely be a mask. Make sure you get help to ensure it fits properly. Followed by fins and a snorkel. Most instructors expect you to provide these during your open water course, though there are exceptions. My second purchase would be exposure protection and there are lots of choices that you should discuss with your local dive shop based upon the water temperatures of where you expect to be diving. I'd wait a bit on everything else since there really is no hurry and plenty of rental options available on nearly everything. Some scuba gear is a major purchase and no sense in rushing into something you might regret later!

I'd also hold off on the thought of diving in a local river until after you have logged a bunch of dives and have some practical experience in various conditions under your belt. You could possibly be dealing with cold water, swiftly moving water, low vis, shallow water/boat traffic, underwater obstructions, or a combination thereof. More than likely the river will not be quite as pleasant as your Caribbean experience.

Best of luck with your training!

Hello from all of us here on the board. You will find some good advice as well as some VERY opinionated advice. Most of the people here are very helpful and will help you the best they can. As far as the first thing to buy, training. As for gear, a mask and snorkel, for hygiene reasons. Fins are another on the top of the list, but there are many choices, your conditions will dictate your fins, if you must get a pair, a cheap pair will get you by for the time being, or aq spendy pair of splits should tied you over for awhile, depends on your budget. Just remember, take your time and have fun.
Joe

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom