Hi everyone,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abhandly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Pleased to be joining scubaboard. My son and I are pretty new to diving and hope we can take advantage of all the members' experiences.

Went to Gerstle Cove last Saturday (8/9) with the Nautilus dive shop folks. Great place, great people. We were there when the ab diver died in the next cove to the south (Stillwater). Terrible for related friends and family. Lesson I learned from that tragedy- free diving or scuba, think twice about wearing a leg knife when diving in kelp. I've been caught a couple of times (tank, knife, etc.) but nothing too scary but it can clearly lead to disaster.

Gerstle Cove is a nice dive. There were lots of divers on Saturday so the initial area was pretty turbid.

Enter at high tide if you can, reduces the stretch of rocks you have to walk over. The slippery rocky beach makes entry a challenge. I'm thinking of bringing some kind of walking staff for added stability next time.

We'll write again. Regards,

abhandly

Hi abhandly ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Pleased to be joining scubaboard. My son and I are pretty new to diving and hope we can take advantage of all the members' experiences.

Went to Gerstle Cove last Saturday (8/9) with the Nautilus dive shop folks. Great place, great people. We were there when the ab diver died in the next cove to the south (Stillwater). Terrible for related friends and family. Lesson I learned from that tragedy- free diving or scuba, think twice about wearing a leg knife when diving in kelp. I've been caught a couple of times (tank, knife, etc.) but nothing too scary but it can clearly lead to disaster.

Gerstle Cove is a nice dive. There were lots of divers on Saturday so the initial area was pretty turbid.

Enter at high tide if you can, reduces the stretch of rocks you have to walk over. The slippery rocky beach makes entry a challenge. I'm thinking of bringing some kind of walking staff for added stability next time.

We'll write again. Regards,

abhandly

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that diving with a knife in kelp is a bad idea, or a good one? I read it as being a bad idea, although I personally thought that it was safe to bring one along. I'm very new so bear with me haha. :)

welcome aboard

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that diving with a knife in kelp is a bad idea, or a good one? I read it as being a bad idea, although I personally thought that it was safe to bring one along. I'm very new so bear with me haha. :)
To FlameofOsiris- what I meant to say was diving wearing things that can get caught on kelp or other submarine obstructions is dangerous. Dive tools can be very useful, save your life even, but if your tool gets snagged on something and you panic or don't respond correctly it can have very undesirable results. No hard and fast rule here just something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom