Titanium wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good evening,
I am off to dive in Cayman islands this next January and am toying with purchasing a titanium wetsuit. Where do I go to find out unbiased information on the benefits and drawbacks of them. I am tall and thin and tend to get cold fairly easily and had heard that the titanium suits are warmer as well as more flexible.
thanks!
Molly

Hi and welcome to scubaboard. I have a Henderson 7mm titanium hyperstretch and I loved using it (before I got a drysuit). I have a female friend who has a similar build to you. A group of us went to Bonaire on vacation in January and we were doing 4 dives a day for 8 days in a row. She was using a full 3mm wetsuit and towards the end of the week she was getting cold easily. You may want to consider either a full 5mm or maybe even a 7mm. It depends on how easily you get cold and how many dives you are planning to do. My friend is going back to Bonaire in November and she just bought a 7mm wetsuit to bring with her.

Anyway...the wetsuit I have is extremely flexible/comfortable and was pretty warm for most part ( I do some deep dives where the water temp is in the 40s year round...hence the drysuit).

Have you checked out your local dive shop to see what they have to offer? Good luck and have fun on your vacation!

Good evening,
I am off to dive in Cayman islands this next January and am toying with purchasing a titanium wetsuit. Where do I go to find out unbiased information on the benefits and drawbacks of them. I am tall and thin and tend to get cold fairly easily and had heard that the titanium suits are warmer as well as more flexible.
thanks!
Molly

I think you should concentrate on finding something that fits you well before you worry about the titanium bit. You could layer, 2mil shorty under a 3 mil full suit. Possibly a 5/3 mil suit. Even look at the possibility of wearing a hood to help out.

Don't worry about titanium since, to my knowledge, no definitive, subjective test have proved that the titanium wetsuit maintains body warmth any better than a plain ole neoprene one. If I'm wrong about the testing I'm sure I'll be corrected and would love to see the data myself.

welcome aboard

Good evening,
I am off to dive in Cayman islands this next January and am toying with purchasing a titanium wetsuit. Where do I go to find out unbiased information on the benefits and drawbacks of them. I am tall and thin and tend to get cold fairly easily and had heard that the titanium suits are warmer as well as more flexible. thanks! Molly

First, welcome to ScubaBoard. . . next, look at the top of each page, and you will find a button titled "Forums" click there and hang onto your hat, you're going on a ride to find out more about diving than the navy dive manual.:D

Scroll down past discussions for new divers, below underwater photography, past hunting, keep going down the list, until you reach equipment discussions. There you will find hundreds of opinions of wetsuits. . . everyone thinks their opinion is right. Wetsuits are expensive so few people have experienced more than two suits. In 35 years I've bought 8 different suits, all have been pretty good, some better than others.

The single most important thing is FIT! Most wetsuit manufacturers make 5 to 7 sizes to fit everyone in the world, and no two manufacturers make the same fit for a particular size. If you can find a shop with 5 brands, and compare a size large, no two will be alike. Two methods to get a good fit. . . try on lots of manufacturers suits till you find a good compromise fit. . . or order a custom made suit. I've had three custom suits and they were the best by a huge measure of comfort.

For a couple of dives in tropical waters a 3 mil suit isn't bad, the material stretches more, and can feel more comfortable if you have a bad fitting suit. 5 mil suits are a little less stretch and are warmer, also a good tropical weight if you chill easily. 7 mil suits better fit well because they don't have very much stretch, but they are warmer. All of these suits can be made warmer by putting a wetsuit material vest underneath.

The material the suit is made from is hidden by most wetsuit manufacturers. How the rubber is made, what the inside and outside fabric is made of is important but hidden from the customer. Some manufacturers say the color of the lining matters, some say titanium, anything they say makes them best. . . just like used car salesmen.:crafty:

Henderson suits are good if it isn't really the right size, it stretches more than most other brands. . . that stretchy lining grabs velcro from across the boat, it snags more than any other fabric I know.

Read more, and search inside the wetsuit forum, before you drop your money. Comfort is the only factor in choosing a suit. And, comfort ONLY comes with FIT, FIT, FIT!

Titanium has been largely dismissed a hokum by many including some industy insiders I have spoken with.

As mentioned fit is everything. Read more here.

Pete

The Titanium coating is pure marketing hype. There is no way in hell that adding a layer of any metal is going to make a suit warmer, despite their marketing claims that it "reflects heat in and reflects cold out". This just shows a stunning lack of understanding of physics. That being said I love my Henderson hyperstretch. As several of the previous posters pointed out, fit is everything. The Henderson suits, being very stretchy, conform well to my body. Wrinkles, folds, and gaps are the absolute death of a wetsuit. As you move, they turn into pumps that flush water in and out of the suit. My Henderson fits so smoothly that I don't have any problem with water exchange.

I've used half a dozen different wetsuits including a titanium one. It makes no difference. Go to you LDS and choose one that fits your body and your budget.

Good evening,
thanks!
Molly

Good evening, and welcome to the board! I am also very skeptical of any scuba gear that says "titanium" on it, especially a wetsuit. I would also like to add to the discussion, that the most effective piece of neoprene you can buy goes on your head. If you get chilled easily, buy a 7mm hood, along with a quality wetsuit.
I can personally recommend the Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene, as well as their hoods. In my opinion, the Scubapro Everflex is also a quality suit. I'm not too big on Henderson.

Titanium is another atempt at making divers feel good about something that will work topside in air. A metal reflector will help in air. The same can be said for plush linings and dive skins. In the end they are just wet fabric.

Merino wool with it's exothermic properties is legitimate.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom