Gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richfen

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving and am planning a 10 day sailing trip to the British Virgin Islands in November. I was wondering if it would be better to rent equipment there or buy a scuba outfit here. I only have mask, fins, and snorkel. Also what's the best way to get a good deal and the right equipment?
thanks

Well I recommend that its better that you rent the equipment, since you are a new diver. If you are planning in doing a lot of dives than i recommend you to buy the set; the BC and the Regulator and than you just need to rent the tanks.
Remember to go with a buddy and your diving limits, to ask about the best places for dive and water currents or abnormalities. make your plan and let somebody know where you are diving.
best deals for buying are sometimes online.

hello and welcome buddy

Welcome! I am done a number of sailing/diving combo trips in the BVI's and Grenadines. A couple of things to think about. You can rent gear down there. There are a number of decent dive shops on Tortola.

You didn't mention if your sailboat was set up with a compressor onboard. If not, you will want to think about how you set up your itinerary since not every island has an air-fill station. I know there are fill stations on Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, Cooper, and Tortola. A number of the shops will also come out to your boat and pick you up if you arrange time before hand.

Definitely get a dive on the Rhone wreck while you are down there. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Back
Top Bottom