George and Don Brauer and their contribution to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calglo

New
Reaction score
One of the posts by Chatterton referred to another post by a Sam Miller that mentioned George and Don Brauer (he said "Bauer" but it's Brauer). Don Brauer was my brother's best friend from high school (Unihi in Westwood) and they continued to be friends throughout their lives. In the late 50's Don and his older brother George started a diving school in Los Angeles. They owned a boat and took their advanced student groups on diving trips to the Bimini Islands and other locations. They also opened a series of retail stores in Southern California called "Ski and Dive" that sold scuba gear and later Snow Ski equipment. Don created the videos for the tv series called "Territory Underwater" which aired in the summer, sponsored by Voit and after the first year, they also had a program about snow skiing called "Ski Breed." The two programs alternated in the same tv slot for several years. I don't recall when they discontinued the shops and classes. Don also raced cars and had a terrible accident after which his face had to be rebuilt from photographs. He turned out looking pretty much like himself and went on to teach video at a college in Washington State and often said that teaching is the most fun he could have standing up. George went on to have line of boat supplies and jackets. Both passed away several years ago. They were real pioneers in the sport of scuba diving.

Not sure if Captain Walt is still active on this forum, but I am researching the Brauer brothers and their films. If anyone has information - especially contact info for the families - I'd appreciate a message. Thanks in advance for any help.

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Sorry - correction. Not sure if Calglo is still active on this forum.

George died many years ago and Don Brauer taught video at a college in Washington state the last few years before he also died. I will contact Don's widow and see if she has any information on the films. The TV programs, sponsored by Voit, aired so long ago those films may not be available, but hopefully the original films have been preserved somewhere.

---------- Post Merged at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Not sure if Captain Walt is still active on this forum, but I am researching the Brauer brothers and their films. If anyone has information - especially contact info for the families - I'd appreciate a message. Thanks in advance for any help.

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Sorry - correction. Not sure if Calglo is still active on this forum.[/QUOTEF

How do you happen to be researching the Brauer brothers and their films? Are you a student? What's your interest?

---------- Post Merged at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:59 AM ----------

I checked and Don's widow does not have any of the films. Sorry.
I am curious, though, as to why you were researching them.

Jim Rutter here. I have been doing some autobiographal stuff and when I got to my SCUBA start, a lot of cool and great memories came to light. I was certified at Ski N Dive by George and Don Brauer in 1959. I completed instructor certification in LA County 11UICC and worked for the shop for about 6-8 years. People that I worked with there were Jim Milner, Ruth Nugent, Any Hogue, Harry Vetter, Dave Lutain (sp?), Dave Dopps, John Klamorack and others who's names elude me at the moment. The Brauer Brothers ran a wild and crazy dive shop and dive club called the "Squid Diddlers". The shop was a second home to me and you always felt welcome when you came in. Memories of George bring up the phrase "He could sell ice to Eskimos" and Don was awesome in putting great films together that informed and entertained. Don Evers was one of the top free diving guys of the time for the Squid Digglers. We used a boat for the Catalina trips named the Lulu. A very small boat by today's standards. 17 people on it was an overload. Since I'm waxing nostalgic, I'd love to hear from any of the old gang.

Can't help wondering whether these Brauer brothers might have been related to the late Ralph Brauer, of the Institute of Marine Biomedical Research in Wilmington, NC, who has a cameo in my book for his experimental chamber dives of the late 1960s to 1,000-plus feet at the French company Comex. Ralph Brauer was involved with the research going on worldwide into HPNS and discovering the ultimate limits for human divers.

Jim--Sam Miller here--What a pleasant surprise! And after all these good years! I go for months with out looking at this board--today it is sprinlkling rain --and as you know we Kalifornians NEVER go out in the rain!

Perhaps I can fill you in on a few of the S&D gang--at least the best I can recall:

Jim Milner,Became a dive charter boat captain - owned several boats- I "recall???" Jim selling out and moving back to his home state in the south east US possibly Lousiana

Ruth Nugent,Married a close diving buddy at the time Jack Waite,an LA Co fireman(See DSM # one Dec 1951 --he is all over that tissue.) He was Killed in a off road desert motorcycle accident in 1972 (?)
Ruth went to work for Don in the Empress company--Married the second time moved to NorCal about 1980s. I am in contact with Jack's daughter who lives a short distance from me...She may have Ruth's current address..I will ask her.

Andy Hogue,made some slurp guns sold them via S&D and later SCUBA Pro...then disappeared out of diving

Harry Vetter, He is 84-5 in good health, lives in Oregon. Visited me a short time ago--wrote the following about him:
little reminiscences --Harry Vetter

"A friend for 60 years, diving buddy for many of those years. Let me tell you about Harry Vetter....

Pioneer LA county Underwater Instructor (ever wonder why LA Co types are referred to as "Underwater Instructors" rather than SCUBA instructors? The term SCUBA was not in common usage in 1954 when LA Co was established)

Harry also has the dubious distinction of being the last of the original instructors who taught the very first NAUI Instructor's course at Houston in August 1960, all the rest are now diving on the big reef in the sky; Dr. Al Tillman, NAUI #1 Al Jones #2, Dr. Andy Rechnitzer #3 are gone- all gone. Only Harry Vetter NAUI #4 remains.

During his recent two day visit from his home in Oregon Harry indicated he had contacted NAUI HQ and chatted with a clerk about a replacement card. The clerk could not comprehend that his instructor number was 4 and could not locate his records, after all, almost a half a century had passed since 1960.

A few days after his departure I contacted Cathy Cush at NAUI. She was unaware that Harry had contacted them or that he was still alive. She was very grateful for the historical link to the past. A fast review of NAUI records indicated Harry was the "Oldest Living NAUI instructor" and I as NAUI instructor #27 was "one of the oldest living instructors." A few days ago Harry and I received a very special one of a kind NAUI instructor card in the mail. According to a note it was the first two to be issued

Lets place Harry's distinction of NAUI Instructor #4 in proper prospective...1960 was 52 years ago, most of you were not alive or if you were you were probably too young to be interested in recreational diving.

Harry's visit produced a non stop 24X7 conversation of days, events and people of the past.

The many dives, summer and winter prior to the wet suit with only long underwear and GI sweaters for thermal protection, Churchill fins for propulsion, home made snorkels fashioned from a WW 11 gas mask hose and a piece of aquarium hose, the home made masks fashioned from a piece of fire hose ( see www portagequarry.com ; Legends of diving "The Mask")(Also Eric Hanauer's SDM article about UW artist John Steele- the picture he had painted in the background is a young me clad in a WW 11 GI sweater, wearing a Sturgil mask,Green churchills, diving on a terrified fish)

The many trips deep into Baja for clear water teaming with game; the many fish and huge lobsters....
The time we came around a corner on the "old road" near what is known now as "La Mission" and were stopped by a huge bond fire in the middle of the road by what we thought were well armed Mexican bandits, but lucky for us they were military searching for escapees from the Ensenada jail.

The LA county and later NAUI classes we taught and the laughs we had...the 38 foot diving charter boat "Say when" (Say when are we getting there?, Say when will it stop rocking? Say when will we get back to San Pedro?)... the student who fastened his wet suit beaver tail over the railing and did a back entry and was suspended up side down....The arrogant self impressed gymnast who rather doing a "giant stride entry" attempted a hand stand entry in full gear, but for what ever reason did not let go and came crashing down on the side of the boat. Certainly got the attention of all on board and gave us cause for alarm.

The many locations we were the first to dive up and down the Baja and California coast, and the famous Farnsworth banks in December 1960--but that is a story for another time.
So many stories...
but then who is concerned about the way we were? or how we got to where we are?

At #4 Harry is the oldest living NAUI instructor
At # 27 I am the oldest living NAUI instructor in Kalifornia"

Dave Lutain (sp?), Dave went into X ray servicing.. I always called on him even though he was $$$ I felt he gave good service..that is until he charged me $120.00 travel time and he came about 2 miles from another doctor's office...He refused to cut the bill--the word got around --his business fell off and he moved to Phoenix

Dave Dopps, never heard from after S&D closed

John Klamorack--John passed away many many years ago--Possibly in the 1970s---My only judge of time was that I was honored with "Outstanding contributions to UW Instruction" in early 1960s and "Out standing LA CoUW instructor of the Year in 1969"....John was also honored as the "outstding Instructor" a few years later---then a year later he contracted CA and passed on, I would say before 1975.

One that you missed was Homer Fletcher...He is 86-7--maybe 88, lived in Springville Utah..
And what about Dave Pyatt (S) married a short time to Shelia who worked for Skin Diver MaG --the first to go --1962 of CA==Great funny gal

Harry, Homer and I were reunited at NAUI's 50th a few years ago in Jacksonville, Florida, NAUI's new home- The stories we did tell on up into the night...We were the oldest by longevity in diving by about 20 years--all had began in the 40s & 50s before all the modern equipment--wet suits, SPGs, BCs etc etc..most were unaware that there were divers who dove with out wet suits..

A couple others..Bill Barada..Moved to Florida - stopped smoking stopped writing --but still cantankerous,passed away 15 years back---John D Craig lived to 90+ passed away in Phoenix, Tommy Thompson passed on..Jim there are not too many remaining. Certainly happy to hear you are still above ground

While I was with the Underseas Project office working on the DDS Beaver for Andy Rechnitzer - I on occasion ran into your wife #1--things were not going to well at that time for you and her.

Last time I saw Don was at lunch with Omar Neilson at the Silver Saddle in Downey. (Omar left us 15 years ago) Can't recall what the meeting was about--but business.

Me? became a doc. practiced 35 years retired..live in Cencal..never left diving- 65 years now...Awarded many diving honors over the years (google my name) traveled the world diving..Currently enjoying life...Hope you are doing the same...SDM

Jim--Sam Miller here--What a pleasant surprise! And after all these good years! I go for months with out looking at this board--today it is sprinlkling rain --and as you know we Kalifornians NEVER go out in the rain!

Perhaps I can fill you in on a few of the S&D gang--at least the best I can recall:

Jim Milner,Became a dive charter boat captain - owned several boats- I "recall???" Jim selling out and moving back to his home state in the south east US possibly Lousiana

Ruth Nugent,Married a close diving buddy at the time Jack Waite,an LA Co fireman(See DSM # one Dec 1951 --he is all over that tissue.) He was Killed in a off road desert motorcycle accident in 1972 (?)
Ruth went to work for Don in the Empress company--Married the second time moved to NorCal about 1980s. I am in contact with Jack's daughter who lives a short distance from me...She may have Ruth's current address..I will ask her.

Andy Hogue,made some slurp guns sold them via S&D and later SCUBA Pro...then disappeared out of diving

Harry Vetter, He is 84-5 in good health, lives in Oregon. Visited me a short time ago--wrote the following about him:
little reminiscences --Harry Vetter

"A friend for 60 years, diving buddy for many of those years. Let me tell you about Harry Vetter....

Pioneer LA county Underwater Instructor (ever wonder why LA Co types are referred to as "Underwater Instructors" rather than SCUBA instructors? The term SCUBA was not in common usage in 1954 when LA Co was established)

Harry also has the dubious distinction of being the last of the original instructors who taught the very first NAUI Instructor's course at Houston in August 1960, all the rest are now diving on the big reef in the sky; Dr. Al Tillman, NAUI #1 Al Jones #2, Dr. Andy Rechnitzer #3 are gone- all gone. Only Harry Vetter NAUI #4 remains.

During his recent two day visit from his home in Oregon Harry indicated he had contacted NAUI HQ and chatted with a clerk about a replacement card. The clerk could not comprehend that his instructor number was 4 and could not locate his records, after all, almost a half a century had passed since 1960.

A few days after his departure I contacted Cathy Cush at NAUI. She was unaware that Harry had contacted them or that he was still alive. She was very grateful for the historical link to the past. A fast review of NAUI records indicated Harry was the "Oldest Living NAUI instructor" and I as NAUI instructor #27 was "one of the oldest living instructors." A few days ago Harry and I received a very special one of a kind NAUI instructor card in the mail. According to a note it was the first two to be issued

Lets place Harry's distinction of NAUI Instructor #4 in proper prospective...1960 was 52 years ago, most of you were not alive or if you were you were probably too young to be interested in recreational diving.

Harry's visit produced a non stop 24X7 conversation of days, events and people of the past.

The many dives, summer and winter prior to the wet suit with only long underwear and GI sweaters for thermal protection, Churchill fins for propulsion, home made snorkels fashioned from a WW 11 gas mask hose and a piece of aquarium hose, the home made masks fashioned from a piece of fire hose ( see www portagequarry.com ; Legends of diving "The Mask")(Also Eric Hanauer's SDM article about UW artist John Steele- the picture he had painted in the background is a young me clad in a WW 11 GI sweater, wearing a Sturgil mask,Green churchills, diving on a terrified fish)

The many trips deep into Baja for clear water teaming with game; the many fish and huge lobsters....
The time we came around a corner on the "old road" near what is known now as "La Mission" and were stopped by a huge bond fire in the middle of the road by what we thought were well armed Mexican bandits, but lucky for us they were military searching for escapees from the Ensenada jail.

The LA county and later NAUI classes we taught and the laughs we had...the 38 foot diving charter boat "Say when" (Say when are we getting there?, Say when will it stop rocking? Say when will we get back to San Pedro?)... the student who fastened his wet suit beaver tail over the railing and did a back entry and was suspended up side down....The arrogant self impressed gymnast who rather doing a "giant stride entry" attempted a hand stand entry in full gear, but for what ever reason did not let go and came crashing down on the side of the boat. Certainly got the attention of all on board and gave us cause for alarm.

The many locations we were the first to dive up and down the Baja and California coast, and the famous Farnsworth banks in December 1960--but that is a story for another time.
So many stories...
but then who is concerned about the way we were? or how we got to where we are?

At #4 Harry is the oldest living NAUI instructor
At # 27 I am the oldest living NAUI instructor in Kalifornia"

Dave Lutain (sp?), Dave went into X ray servicing.. I always called on him even though he was $$$ I felt he gave good service..that is until he charged me $120.00 travel time and he came about 2 miles from another doctor's office...He refused to cut the bill--the word got around --his business fell off and he moved to Phoenix

Dave Dopps, never heard from after S&D closed

John Klamorack--John passed away many many years ago--Possibly in the 1970s---My only judge of time was that I was honored with "Outstanding contributions to UW Instruction" in early 1960s and "Out standing LA CoUW instructor of the Year in 1969"....John was also honored as the "outstding Instructor" a few years later---then a year later he contracted CA and passed on, I would say before 1975.

One that you missed was Homer Fletcher...He is 86-7--maybe 88, lived in Springville Utah..
And what about Dave Pyatt (S) married a short time to Shelia who worked for Skin Diver MaG --the first to go --1962 of CA==Great funny gal

Harry, Homer and I were reunited at NAUI's 50th a few years ago in Jacksonville, Florida, NAUI's new home- The stories we did tell on up into the night...We were the oldest by longevity in diving by about 20 years--all had began in the 40s & 50s before all the modern equipment--wet suits, SPGs, BCs etc etc..most were unaware that there were divers who dove with out wet suits..

A couple others..Bill Barada..Moved to Florida - stopped smoking stopped writing --but still cantankerous,passed away 15 years back---John D Craig lived to 90+ passed away in Phoenix, Tommy Thompson passed on..Jim there are not too many remaining. Certainly happy to hear you are still above ground

While I was with the Underseas Project office working on the DDS Beaver for Andy Rechnitzer - I on occasion ran into your wife #1--things were not going to well at that time for you and her.

Last time I saw Don was at lunch with Omar Neilson at the Silver Saddle in Downey. (Omar left us 15 years ago) Can't recall what the meeting was about--but business.

Me? became a doc. practiced 35 years retired..live in Cencal..never left diving- 65 years now...Awarded many diving honors over the years (google my name) traveled the world diving..Currently enjoying life...Hope you are doing the same...SDM

Hi Sam. You never know when you throw something out on the web if it will go off into a black hole or you'll find a long lost friend. Great to hear from you. Thank you for all the updates. You added a couple of names I had forgotten.

The last I'd heard of Harry Vetter, he was in Palau. I was invited to make a live aboard dive this coming March to Palau and immediately wondered if he was still there. As it turns out, I'm not going, but it did get the brain going back over history.

As far as you and I go, we talked about 15 or more years ago after my daughter ran into you in Orange. She was a diving instructor for quite a while and I think that is where you two crossed paths.

Give me a shout on jimrutter@cox.net and we can work on getting together. I do quite a bit of travel up and down the centeral valley visiting my mom in Sacramento.

I'm George Brauer's granddaughter. My mom used to show us his scuba diving and ski shows when we were kids, and they were awesome. I'm going to see if she still has the tapes.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

I'm George Brauer's granddaughter. My mom used to show us his scuba diving and ski shows when we were kids, and they were awesome. I'm going to see if she still has the tapes.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/487321_10151521405829715_357245931_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom