Where do we start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I dived in Mexico one time. We liked in and wanted to get certified and get some gear for our boat we keep in florida. Where do we start.:confused:

Get a C-Card from one of the agencies out there. Mine is from PADI. The classes are made more accessable that when I took them back in 1980. There is no time limit on the swim anymore and they will work with the less abled as well. I saw an article where a woman who was a parapalegic got her C-Card and now dives as a way to regain her mobility and a sport she could share with her SO.

Get a few dives before you venture out on your own on your boat though. Power or Sail? Sail doesn't give you as much room to don gear as a powerboat does. I have a 27 foot sailboat and it is a PITA to gear up and the high freeboard is also a pain when you get out of the water. A swim platform on the back of a power boat is a LOT easier to get into and out of the water.

Rent gear from different makers to find out what you like. This wil prevent you from buying something that fits on land and really doesn't in the water. I rented a BC that drew raves from others that had it and found that I hated just about everything about it.

Step One...Open Water Certification class

Step Two...Get wet and find out if you like it as much as you did on vacation

Step three...buy gear

Step four...Dive with other more experienced divers and get your skills up (Owning a boat will bring people to you, Did for me :))

Step Five...Dive off your boat with just your wife.

That is how I would do it if it were me.

welcome aboard

Welcome! Where in Indiana are you located? There are many training facilities through out the mid west/ Ohio Valley area. I am in KY on the IN boarder & know of several places where training can be had. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

My wife and I dived in Mexico one time. We liked in and wanted to get certified and get some gear for our boat we keep in florida. Where do we start.:confused:

My SO and I have a pontoon and we have rigged it with the brackets that hold our tanks upright and we purchased a dive ladder that is diver friendly. We can easily dive off the platform that was manufactured with the boat, when we are having our surface intervals, we have also rigged the boat with devices to keep our fishing rods upright and out of the way! We certified with PADI in South Carolina and dive the lakes alot so we multitask our boat. There is also many other sites to dive in our neck of the woods so come and visit and enjoy. Congrads on the discovery of a whole new world!!!!!!!!

We are up in the very northeastern corner. We are currently doing the bookwork on the web and have a dive shop in Fort Wayne, IN. We will be doing our pool work before Christmas. and then open water dive back in Florida after the first of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom