New to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
OK- I'm brand new at this and still "wet behind the ears." One trip and what a blast. So now I want to take more lessons. But I am not clear what type of lessons to take (PADI vs SSI vs NAUI). I've read that it doesn't matter and that only the instructor makes a difference. So what do I look for?

I'm afraid this will unleash flood gates but I'm ready. I'm in decent shape, late-40s, and may only be able to scuba only a few times per year.

Welcome to SB! I'm guessing your one trip was a Discover Scuba class? Deciding which agency may simply come down to which agency your LDS (Local Dive Shop) is affiliated with. I was certified through Rescue Diver with PADI when I lived in Ohio. Now, my LDS in Houston is SSI who gives me credit for the PADI certifications I have. There are no shortage of debates about which agency is better but you can get answers to any specific questions you have in the Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies forum. Whatever you decide, you stepping off in the right direction. :D

Good Luck!

OK- I'm brand new at this and still "wet behind the ears." One trip and what a blast. So now I want to take more lessons. But I am not clear what type of lessons to take (PADI vs SSI vs NAUI). I've read that it doesn't matter and that only the instructor makes a difference. So what do I look for?.

ScoobieNewbie, welcome to the "wet behind the ears" Forums. . . There are thousands of different opinions, because, whichever organization took your money the first time, wants more. If your trip made you a certified, card carrying diver, with the secret hand shake. Travel to any dive shop near warm water, rent gear, and go blow bubbles. Nothing will teach you diving, like diving. 10 or 20 dives will give you the kind of experience you need. In those first dives, just enjoy blowing bubbles. Rising and falling in the water as you breathe, teaches itself with practice. Different types, and sizes of rental dive gear, will teach you what to look for, when you're ready to buy your own gear. . . After you have learned all these comfort skills from "just blowing bubbles", start looking around at the fish life.

Which set of initials are important. . . doesn't matter much. It's mostly about early dive shops, Two of the sets of letters started in the early 1960's and the other started in the 1970's. The older training orgs attached themselves to the old dive shops. The second and third dive shops took leftovers. No problem, all three teach to a national set of requirements. Most of those original instructors are long gone. Today, ask around dive shops in your area, and find an instructor, you can enjoy working with. Now that you have 10 or 20 dives, you'll be able to sort through the instructors that dive a lot, from those that talk a lot, and only dive when they're getting paid.

Diving is fun, read some of the diving resort reports like Mexico's "Cozumel" or the Netherland Antilles, "Bonair". After you get an accredited certification, your experience blowing bubbles is the most important teacher. All the rest can be just "Patches". . . (We don't need any stinkin' patches) appologies to the "Treasures of Siera Madre movie.

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom