Cuba bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
going to cuba for a week and ive never even seen the ocean before. It has always been a dream of mine to go for a dive and now it looks like its about to happen. What should i watch out for and what will i see down there?

Good choice Plumber : Where are you heading ? We go to Santiago de Cuba Sierra Mar resort every year, You are going to love the diving & the people lots of reefs, usually see lots of species of fish take a camera with you. I always take my own gear BCD,Regs, computer, fins mask & snorkel ( for when not diving) I wear a full 3 mil suit, reef gloves. the dive operators will supply you the tanks and wieghts. No matter where you go in Cuba you are going to fall in love with the people there and probably return like we do and everyone else that have gone with us. just remember the food is not the same in some locations where we go its good, but we have stayed at other areas and its a little plain take some spices with you thats what friends do. If you want take a save a dive kit with you because sometimes they do not have the parts ie: O-rings or fin straps on hand don't want to ruin a dive because of a small breakdown. Sierra Mar is on the southern coast and the diving I have found to be excellent every time we have been, depending on the time of year the Northern coast by Havana , Veredaro can sometimes be rougher water and lots of jelly fish. We have stayed in some places that if they had a humid summer,The No See Ums are bad on the beaches so make sure you take insect repellent with you for that, I always take a strong deet insect repellent. Most resorts have a lot of things to do when you are not diving. take the time to meet the local people in the villages. take some things such as school supplies for the kids, extra clothes because you may end up leaving some with some families. shoes for kids etc. one year we all took bikes down but I'm not sure if the Airlines will allow you that this year. Check who you fly with to make sure you can take your dive gear at no charge we always are allowed 50lbs each for sporting bags and my wife & I pack our dive gear together. I take my computer, regs and camera equipment MP3 player on my carry on. If you take the time to spend looking at the historical sites ie Forts, Buildings, Statues & Parks you will become a regular visitor to Cuba. If you like Baseball you can catch some of the best games you have seen down there.

Have a great trip Plumber! Maybe someday I'll be able to legally go.

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom