Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Methose

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone.My wife and I are getting into diving probly wont get certified till this spring( to cold in Colorado) i have Dacor XP Pacer reg/octo. it has 2 regs on it and one of the valves is stuck open. should i see if i can get it fixed or buy a new reg down the road when i am certified??

Thankx

Methose

Welcome, I do not think you will find parts for it. As Mares do not support the older Dacor products prior to their purchase of the Dacor. I would say get a new one down the road.

Welcome To SCUBA BOARD
I would get your Reg checked for sure..it may just need a servicing..find a reputable Dive Shop..get them to check it and possiblly service it. I bought a used one and had it serviced..I use it for an emergency spare...it's up to you..cuz you're the one that will be using it..Right?

Get certified first. It will give you time to use the Equipment the shop has and time to shop around to find the best prices.

Methose:

There has to be story to tell... As a non-diver, how did you end up owning a Dacor XP Pacer reg/octo? Since your "almost certification" was a couple of years ago and Dacor is a long gone brand (I still have one of their BCs in my garage), I am guessing it was either a gift from a friend that bought new gear or an impulsive e-bay purchase!

Nosegaurd gave you very good advice. Don't worry about fixing the old gear until you have gotten certified. There are three compelling reasons to follow his advise.

1. When you get certified you will have the opportunity to dive with the gear provided by your instructor and find out what you like. Gear fit preferences, even for regulators, are highly personal. You may discover that you love the underarm routing of the Sherwood Maximus or that standard regs pull on your mouth (a problem solved by Atomic's 2nd stage swivel). There is no right answer for everyone... Just what is most comfortable for you.

2. Regs really should be serviced once every year or two (max) whether they have been used or not. Unless you know for sure that you are going to become an avid diver NOW, you may end up paying for two reg servicings (and maybe an overhall given the age) before you have logged 10 dives. All the reputable brands (Aqua Lung, TUSA etc.) have excellent regulators that you can buy new for less than the cost sending a reg in for service twice. Why not get the latest technology and save money?

3. Your life depends on your regulator more than any other piece of equipment. While I prefer to take all of my gear, I never travel without taking my regulator...ever! I also never put it in checked baggage, I always carry my reg on the airplane. Dive travel is addictive... What you will see on other continents will amaze you... Whether it is the unbelievable biomass of the Galapagos or New Zealand, the WWII wreks of Truk Lagoon, the coral spawn of Curacau or the vivid museum quality clarity of the Red Sea, prepare to be amazed. But, also be prepared to be very, very glad that you brought your own regulator and are not trusting your life to equipment that has had better days. I admit that sometimes you arrive to find brand new top of the line gear, but that is clearly the exception.

In addition to the Dacor regs, do you have any other vintage gear?

P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom