New to the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MidnightElf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello I am new to the forum, but not new to scuba. I've deen diving since 1993 but only in warmer climes like Queensland and Fiji. I've been recently introduced to the wonders of temperate (actually cold) water diving here in Victoria and am astonished at the variety and diversity of marine life right here in my backyard; love those sea dragons.

I've been a wildlife and landscape photographer for many years and have naturally extended my range by going underwater. I now often dive with fellow photographers who share the same interest and passion as me.

Look out for me making useful contributions to this forum.

Cheers and beers,
MidnightElf

PS: My nom de plume comes from my earlier antarctic expeditioner days when I was very mischevious and always got up to no good in the depths of the night :penguin:; I'm no different now.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Thanks mate. It's nice to be part of a wider community and have resources and local knowledge that can be tapped into.

Cheers and beers,
MidnightElf

Welcome buddy! :) Glad you made it on to Scubaboard~~ :happywave:

Interesting background... welcome aboard! 8^)

Victoria eh? Do you find you have to get some new gear for diving the more temperate climates? 8^)

What do you shoot with?

Thanks Sas, or should I say Miss April.

Interesting background... welcome aboard! 8^)

Victoria eh? Do you find you have to get some new gear for diving the more temperate climates? 8^)

What do you shoot with?
Hello Kahu.

Thanks for the welcome.

I took the opportunity of buying most of my gear new and my first purchase was a 7mm Beuchat semi-dry suit with matching hood/vest. Now that the weather is starting to cool I'm matching this with a 0.5mm thermal undergarment. This may increase to 1mm in Winter. Mind you, I dived every month last year with just the 7mm and vest/hood. I was cool but not cold.

I also upgraded my gloves to Oceanic 3mm kevlar which come up over the wrist and have the velcro strap. This minimises water exchange and keeps my fingers a bit warmer for longer. Same for the boots I'm going to buy which must come up over the ankle and also have a velcro strap; the velcro strap is essential otherwise the zip keeps opening when diving.

I've only recently started diving with fleecy woolen socks (explorer type socks) that have made a marked improvement in keeping my toes warm. Finally, I'm thinking of donning another neoprene hood (2mm) for keeping my head/forehead warm, not that this is a problem but others I dive with swear by the double hood arrangement. Be aware that this might cause jaw fatigue or restrict your head movements; I haven't tried it yet but I will.

I've dived in 10C water here in the bay last year and my new regs (Atomic Aquatic M1s) were excellent. They are environmentally sealed as well and I can attest to them (after more than 100 dives in Victoria) coping well in zero visibility and when there is a lot of suspended particulate matter in the water.

Any other gear is a matter of personal choice but if it's the cold you're concerned about then I might recommend a dry suit but even then they can have issues like leaking or poor fit. I will consider a dry suit if I start to feel the cold too much.

As for camera gear I am of the old (analogue) school and still shoot film; isn't that what real photographers use? I have a Nikonos set up and also a Canon F1 with speed-finder in an Ikelite housing with dome port. My favourite lens is my 17mm f4 although the 20mm f2.8 gets a workout as well. I did have a Canon Ixus in an underwater housing but I flooded that (two cameras in fact). Also lost a Nikonos with lens and strobe in the bay (it was rough that day). I have many other cameras includiong a complete Bronica SQAi system with a 500, 250, 200, 80, 50 and 40mm lenses. I know that digital is the way to go and I think a Canon 50D in an Ikelite housing is the way to go; I wouldn't dare risk a 5D in a housing just yet.

In the meantime I've been using (borrowed) a Panasonic Lumix LZ12 (I think) in a housing with an Ikelite strobe and am very impressed with the macro and quick focus.

Cheers and beers

:rofl3: I hope those photos never see the light of day again :rofl3:
Actually, we should consider published a limited release calendar (amongst ourselves of course) of everyone in our little dive group but only if there is a compromising photo we can use from each person. There should also be one group photo shot. Something worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom