Hello from Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lespaulsf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone

I just got open water certified two weekends ago with my wife at Lake Swepco. To say the least the air temp was very cold only 42 degree F. Now that were certified we want to find others in our area to dive with. I also want to learn as much as I can about the sport so hear we are!

Welcome to :sblogo:!

Sometimes folks get wrapped up in the other discussions here and forget to say hello to the new folks, don't let it worry you.

:D

Hi Everyone

I just got open water certified two weekends ago with my wife at Lake Swepco. To say the least the air temp was very cold only 42 degree F. Now that were certified we want to find others in our area to dive with. I also want to learn as much as I can about the sport so hear we are!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. . . since it is still a cold water part of the year, us amphibians are moving slower than when the lakes are warm. Looking for dive partners this time of year is more difficult than it will be when the lakes warm up. If you have the wetsuits to dive this time of year, go down to Tenkiller state park, there are a few divers going on weekends. Check in at both dive shops at the lake, and the state park, hang around the Underwater park and visit with the park rangers till divers show up.

This time of year, you'll want a full thick wetsuit, hood, gloves, and a hot water source when you finish your dive. Late May, and through the summer, those of us with 3 mil suits will be more active. You can look for dive buddies there in Broken Arrow, or Tulsa, but then you have to adjust your schedules to find a common time for traveling to the lake. If you will try the dive shops there at the lake, you will meet people that are already at the lake ready to dive, and buying air. If they are refilling tanks, it is a strong indication they are about to dive.

Gene's pro shop, is on the highway to Gore, between Fin and feather resort and the road across the dam, on the southwest part of Tenkiller. Near Cookson Bend on the highway is another shop, Underwater adventures, ask for Tim. They are both full dive shops with Air, equipment, and instruction.

While the visibility will vary from season to season, rainfall with runoff will hurt the visibility, Diving the underwater park will be good if you are first in, and bad if you are behind a herd of students or other beginning divers. You can wait around the park and almost always meet a lot of divers, and if it is crowded with students, there are other nearby spots that will be clearer on crowded weekends.

Hi mudhole thanks alot for the advice and info. Like I stated we are new diving and just want to get as much experience as possible. Point taken about being the first person in. We did our open water portion at Swepco and noticed big a difference being the first one in vs going down after a hour of activity on the bottom.

We have quite a few divers in the Tulsa area. We dive Tenkiller, Beaver, Oronoco. We have a club in Tulsa Tulsa Aquanauts (Tulsa, OK) - Meetup.com . We dive most weekends and meet once a month to eat at a local restaurant.
We are diving Tenkiller this Sat the 18th. Come and have fun.

-Bob-

Awesome Bob sounds great! Do you have divers that are willing to dive with newbie and watch out that they don't do anything dumb? Since we are new we want to meet other divers and get as much experience as possible. I will have to check the site out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom