New from London, Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there!

Just wanted to drop a line and say hi to everyone, I've learned tonnes from reading a few of the posts and look forward to chatting and perhaps diving with some of you someday! Just got my o/w a couple of weeks ago and have been heading out as much as I can! :)

hi jo!

there's quite a few ontarians here! check out the ontario fresh water freaks section, and feel free to drop me a PM anytime!

Well welcome, welcome, welcome.

It's great to see another diver in Ontario. Like CanuckDiver said, check out our little piece of SB and make sure to come to the BBQ at Taz's. Look forward to diving with you.

:D Marie

welcome. I'm pretty new on here myself. I think you will enjoy the board.
You got some great diving around there!!

Thanks guys! :) I just took a look at the OFWF section, nice! I look forward to meeting all of you, hopefully I can make it out to the BBQ in July! Anyone been out to Sherkston lately? Question, what's DIR?

ScubaJo once bubbled...
Question, what's DIR? [/B]

I thought your question would have generated an answer from some of the tech divers on here but I see none yet ssooooo. I'll give it a whril. I'm not a tech diver so I have no opinon for or against but here is what I think its about and anyone (or everyone) may correct me if I'm wrong.

DIR is an abreveation for "Doing It Right" and is a kind of diving "philosophy" that attempts to address (all) areas that are related to diving some of which are equipment, skills, safety and even fitness. They believe that there is an "optimum" and best way to do everything from fin straps to hose routings and evrything in between. It is all incorporated into this system that stresses safety and efficiency.
It gets really tricky with DIR divers and non-DIR divers and alot of threads can be, shall we say... interesting. The non-DIR crowd also believes in "the best way" but it is what an individual has learned is best for him/herself - not necessarily what DIR has stated. They may practice a few or even most of the aspects that DIR has also adopted but may disagree with a few of the points of the concept and so are deemed to be non-DIR. It appears to be an all of nothing philosophy.
DIR divers are very steadfast and abrupt in their doctrine and can be very aggressive in proving thier point. They appear to some to be arrogant in their beliefs because "they're right and everyone else is wrong" NOT ALL ARE LIKE THIS.

If you stay on the board long enough you will learn a ton from both sides! I am starting to go the tech route and am trying to look at what everyone does. Someone on the board has an excellent article that he will e-mail you that explains it 10 times better than I am (sorry, I forget who...). If you want to learn more a search of the board will give you lots or go to:
http://www.gue.com/info/index.shtml
they are the agency that teaches DIR.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get the fire department to come because I think I'm going to get my whole house flammed!!!!!

:eek:

Just had to drag your post back up to say hi! We haven't met yet but I guess we dive out of the same shop and have some of the same dive buds. I hear you're a natural!

I look forward to getting to know you!:)

Hi!! I was wondering which one was you on the board! :wink: I've heard your name pop up tonnes and can't wait to meet you/dive with you!

Jo :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom