Question: Why are divers usually cool people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyrfoster

Registered
Reaction score
I just spent the weekend in Santa Rosa, NM at the Blue Hole getting OW and AOW certified. It was so fun! The visibility was out of this world. You could put your face in the water and see every corner of the hole (until people started touching things of course).

My general observation was that divers are *usually* really cool people. They are often self-confident, funny, responsible, generous, and more.

Here's my theory. I think that divers are generally cool because the sport of diving has at least these two prerequisites: 1) intelligence and 2) a spirit of discovery; intelligence enough to fulfill the technical requirements of the sport and a spirit of discovery because that's the whole point... let's go look at fish and eels and sharks and coral.

I think it is these two attributes that attract the type of people that divers tend to be.

What do you think?

Jeremy Foster
New Diver

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...
I just spent the weekend in Santa Rosa, NM at the Blue Hole getting OW and AOW certified. It was so fun! The visibility was out of this world. You could put your face in the water and see every corner of the hole (until people started touching things of course).

My general observation was that divers are *usually* really cool people. They are often self-confident, funny, responsible, generous, and more.

Here's my theory. I think that divers are generally cool because the sport of diving has at least these two prerequisites: 1) intelligence and 2) a spirit of discovery; intelligence enough to fulfill the technical requirements of the sport and a spirit of discovery because that's the whole point... let's go look at fish and eels and sharks and coral.

I think it is these two attributes that attract the type of people that divers tend to be.

What do you think?

Jeremy Foster
New Diver

I dunno, Jeremy. I'm pretty much a big dork and so are most of my buddies :)

Funny, I've often wondered at what a mixed bag divers are . . . many sports seem to attract the same type of people whereas I think you get all sorts in diving.

jeremyrfoster- you got OW and AOW certified in the same weekend? I thought that was an impossibility?

Dr. Bill

I assumed the same, but while we were doing the class portion of the OW my instructor said that I could do the dives for AOW during the same trip. I dove 3 times Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. (Fri: OW Dive 1, OW Dive 2, OW Dive 3; Sat: OW Dive 4, AOW Altitude Dive, AOW Navigation Dive; Sun: AOW Deep Dive, AOW Multilevel Dive, AOW Peak Performance Bouyancy Dive). I have to meet with my instructor this week to take the AOW test before I'm technically AOW certified I guess.

I loved combining them. I am a pretty motivated learner. I think that it's best for many to do OW and let that sink in for awhile before they do AOW, but I'm glad they have the option of doing it together.

Jeremy

Nice going......I don't think I would have done that I like to get my gills wet a while and become completely aware of my confidence then go on.....good luck on the test and all!!!!!! :)

That's usually what people think when they get into the sport.

But then, they meet me....

Scuba divers are cool?
:fork: I'm really a nerd - thank god for Debbraey :angel: (My other 1/2). People think she's cool

:dance: PS: I got my nitrox certification before I was actually OW certified. :goofy: Got some strange looks from some of the instructors as I did my final 3 qualification dives with EAN 32.

Not only are we scuba divers - we also sail catamarans. We got cool, eclectic friends on all sides:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom