Hello! & Advise please regarding diving in Mexico!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunny*

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! Just joint this great website and have already a huge question to ask you.

In September will go to Mexico to do an internship to become a diving instructor, I've got only the PADI open water course, this is the essential requirement to do the courses, so that's fine. I was meant to go to Playa del Carmen, near Cancun, i am in contact with Dressel Divers diving centre. Lately I was doing some research regarding diving centres in Mexico and apparently Neptune's dive centre in Puerto Vellarta, on the Pacific coast, has a very good reputation for training courses. Unfortunately the website is not available at the moment. Do you maybe know which one would be better? in terms of marine life, maybe you know any of these schools?

It would be great if you could give me some advice in general, if some of you have done a similar experience, I have only done the OW course in Colombia for a weekend and have never dived again, I love the seaside, swimming, people and travelling, but are these things enough to love diving and doing for a living? In addition I am not 20 years old, but 30 (I feel like 18 though!!), do you think I will meet only students on their early 20s at the course?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but as I am completely new to this world I have a lot of doubts! any suggestion or advice is much appreciated!! Thanks guys!!! :D

Greetings, I have not dove the Pacific side of Mexico but would think that there would be a lot more sea life on that side and colder water. Students will be of all ages most I am involved with are older. Good luck you have a lot of work ahead of you.

I'm a "North American" who now lives in Puerto Vallarta. I love it here. Dive instruction here may be great, but the diving is very, very, ordinary by any world wide standard, while the diving off Cozumel, near Playa del Carmen, is world class. I just returned from a week there. Email me if you would like to know more about what I know. How was diving in Colombia?

Sunny,

You should strongly reconsider your choice of Neptunes. They are NOT a PADI Instructor Development Center NOR a Career Development Center. You cannot complete your training to the instructor level there.

Only PADI 5-Star IDCs/CDCs (and their Resort IDC equivalents) can train instructors. Centers like Neptunes advertise that they can do such courses but will only take you so far and then sell you to another center to finish the job.

If your heart is set on Mexico, then find ONLY an IDC or CDC. Otherwise take a good look at the link below for our Career Development Internship.

Greetings, I have not dove the Pacific side of Mexico but would think that there would be a lot more sea life on that side and colder water. Students will be of all ages most I am involved with are older. Good luck you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Thanks Electrix, really appreciated your advice and happy to hear that students are not all teenagers! :wink: A lot of work ahead, but I am veeery stubborn and determined! Bring it on! :wink:

ScubaDyer, thanks!! I would love to have more info regarding Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, I have never been there, don't really like touristic places, but only where there are tourists I can possibly find a job. Do you know Dressel Divers? I'll do the internship with them, the reviews I read were all positive, the only complain is that they are expensive, but doing an internship I will pay back to them by working for them!

Colombia was very nice, I was near Santa Marta, Taganga, a little fishing village, tourism is basically based purely on diving. I can't compared with any other places, as I dove only there, but was really nice, I saw a turtle, corals and there was a nice variety of fish, in addition people are amaaaazing!!! I loved Colombia!!

Thanks for your help! whenever you have time, whatever additional info/suggestion you can give me regarding Playa del Carmen, Mexico is much appreciated!! :D ciaooooo!!!

Hi Aquanauts! Thanks for your advice, I read good reviews regarding Neptune but they haven't replied to me yet! :( I am in contact with Dressel Divers in Playa del Carmen, it seems a good school. I knew about your diving centre as well, was tempting to consider the option to do the internship in Thailand, but have been to Thailand already twice and the second time in Pattaya, so I prefered to go to Mexico, so I can know a new country as well :)

Have you heard from Dressel Divers? they've got diving centres in Valencia, Spain, Jamaica, Santo Domingo and Mexico.

Thanks! byeeee!!

I've heard the name (Dressel) but don't have any personal experience with them. As long as they are a 5-Star IDC or CDC -- do check -- you'll be fine and in a good spot.

I can't comment on the instruction as I am only a recreational diver, however, having dived both locations, I can say that the Cancun area in general is off the charts. Not taking anything away from the Pacific around Puerta Vallarta, but it's totally different. Kelp forrests vs. corral reefs, wall diving vs. freezing your butt off--need I say more? :) It's just different. Good luck.

you're been to thailand!! but have you dived the west coast? not pattaya!! the east gulf!! its poor compared to the west coast. the andaman sea on the west coast is hell of a lot less sleazy than training in Pattaya. go to phuket!! mexico is great too, but you'll be a better diver after training in phuket!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom