Land based operations in Raja Ampat worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an illogical bias toward having sand under my feet during a dive vacation. Are there any good facilities and land operations in RA or should I assume a liveaboard?

I have an illogical bias toward having sand under my feet during a dive vacation. Are there any good facilities and land operations in RA or should I assume a liveaboard?

There are both available and I'm certain either is good and you'll have good diving. I also prefer land-based operations, if I can see everything I want to see without long boat rides and extra costs (many land-based ops charge extra for trips outside their immediate area).

I've dived Raja Ampat since '99 on multiple trips per year. First when it was really undiscovered, from land. Then after a few years I started chartering a liveaboard for our trips. I always have a choice, and I choose liveaboard.

Some thoughts. As I see it...

Pros for liveaboard:

1. On the liveaboard we get from 5-8 hours underwater everyday on the liveaboard vs 3-4 land-based. Can begin diving 1st day and move at night when everyone is asleep. No holiday time lost to transfers between Sorong and resort.

2. On the liveaboard we just shower off and relax between dives. Don't have to move cameras, wear shoes or do much of anything. Everything very convenient. The ship moves to the next divesite either at night, or while we are having our 2nd breakfast, lunch or napping.

3. On the liveaboard, nearly no mosquitoes. In areas where malaria and Dengue fever are very common, this is a concern. Plus I, and many others, have a bad itchy reaction to mosquitoes; their bites make me miserable. The only times I have seen a mosquito on the ship are when we are downwind from a village or dive resort.

4. Camera rinse, table, electricity available all the time. Can run back to the ship if there is a problem (like dead battery), fix it, and get back onto the same dive. Same goes for any dive equipment, medical or other problem.

5. Ship can move, so if bad weather or visibility in one area, can move to another with a good chance of better conditions.

6. More variety, can visit North and South dive sites on the same trip. Obviously not on a 7 day trip, but with 11-14 can do both.

7. Easy to stay out of the sun (some of us would rather not invite skin cancers).

8. No extra charges for sites farther away or for extra dives, etc.

Pros for land-based:

1. No worries about seasickness.

2. Can hear the birds every morning and evening.

3. If the dive boat stays out for 2-3 dives at a time, don't need to pull off the wetsuit between dives.

4. Larger rooms, so can spread out.

5. Possibly quieter, LOB always has a generator running.

6. If there is someone irritating, you have more places to go to get away from them.

7. Not going to run aground!

Deb Fugitt
www.CitySeahorse.com/rajaampat

Back
Top Bottom