New to board, with Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esheldon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello I am new to ScubaBoard and am looking for advice on a couple topics. Brief background I am a AOW diver with 70 dives mostly Caribbean (Honduras, Key Largo, Ambergris Key) and a little Monterrey experience that I am expanding on. I am about to turn 19 and am currently taking a Gap Year and before I head to college in the fall I would like to go on an extensive SCUBA oriented adventure. I hope to take a course but have yet to find the "perfect" one.
My goals for the course:
-I want to improve my diving skills ( i am confident in the basics but still need work on some)
-Expand on the basic skill set while simultaneously improving it
-Learn more about proper safety practices and rescue techniques
-Equipment management, upkeep, and proper usage
-A variety of diving opportunities and sites, so as to further my scope as a diver in the future
-Theory, less interested but i understand it's importance and perceive that it can be learned from books much more cost effectively,can it?
-I want to be prepared to dive in a variety of places and conditions and feel safe and confident in my abilities, planning, and equipment without the assistance of a dive master or instructor to guide me.

I have looked into GUE fundamentals courses in the area and world wide as it seems to fit my criteria most directly but am concerned about price and equipment and I am also looking to go somewhere for a longer duration then just a couple of days. Other then those concerns GUE seems great particularly interested by the focus on buoyancy and trim, team, dive planning, propulsion techniques, and the open discussion that seems to be promoted and how there are so many courses that follow fundies. Other courses? I see the stand-by as doing a PADI Divemaster course which appeals to me because it’s longer and has unlimited diving but am concerned about the quality of the education. NAUI?SSI? a recommendation or review/referral for any organization or dive shop that has a course like this would be awesome.

OTHER LOGISTICS:
I have frequent flyer miles to hopefully any destination on the one world alliance
1A). this is why I have been looking into Bali, anyone do a course like this in Bali or a PADI divemaster course? Reviews?
-Once i am there money will be tight so price is a big factor ( Bali seems cheap but the courses aren’t, is this true?
-I have a back inflate bc and 1st 2nd stage with dive comp(need more work the comp) and most other accessories besides a wet/dry suit for local diving.
-I preferably will try and go for about a month, the course doesn’t have to be that long but I would still like to spend most of that month in the water.
-I have been down both the just dive for practice and the PADI course ladder as ways to improve as a diver and have found both helpful but limited.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
Any advice or experience is much appreciated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom