Zeagle Stiletto LTD VS. Mares Icon BCD

Which BCD?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey i am a new diver and i was planning on getting the stiletto ltd. Until i saw the mares icon, but the icon doesnt have that much pocket space. I like the icon because of the comfort padding on the back. I was also thinking about getting the mares dragon, but it looks bulky and im not familar with the jacket inflation system. (money is not a proplem just help me make a good choice) if it helps im a slim guy.:d

I used to own an icon. It was ok, but keep in mind that it's made to be a travel type BC.
There is no real structure to it, the idea is that it can be rolled up a certain way to make it easier to pack up in your luggage.
Because of this, I found that tended to sag when wearing it prior to diving. Once in the water, it's not an issue because the tank provides thr rigidity.
A minor complaint, and not a big deal considering that it's a travel BC.
I never rolled it up the way the owners manual demonstrated, I just layed it flat in my luggage.
I didn't care for the quick release integrated weight buckles, but that's just a personal preference thing.
I ended up selling it, and getting a Scubapro Knighthawk. I later got rid of that too for something else.
I've never used a Zeagle, But I'd probably look closer at that one.

-Mitch

Hey i am a new diver and i was planning on getting the stiletto ltd. Until i saw the mares icon, but the icon doesnt have that much pocket space. I like the icon because of the comfort padding on the back. I was also thinking about getting the mares dragon, but it looks bulky and im not familar with the jacket inflation system. (money is not a proplem just help me make a good choice) if it helps im a slim guy.:d

I own a Mares dragon Air trim, I find it very comfortable both above and below the water, its well balanced with the weight pocket setup and easy to get in and out of my boat, releasing the weights and placing them into the engine well and using the out board leg trim plate as a step up onto the duck board(no ladder required). The AT works great, you can descend head first and you don't need to hold a hose up, which makes you less streamlined when you want to expel some air while cruising along- no need to stop your progress into a current, comes in handy, but I guess some people do use the ripcord dump valve on the regular type inflator.
In saying that their is probably more that could go wrong with the air trim inflator then the regular inflator and you need to show buddies and your dive group how to blow up the BC with the pull out, pop top valve, 5/8"dia. straw like inflation tube which passes thru the left hand pocket, kind of obstructs the easy use of the pocket too. Mares does the dragon with standard type inflator too. The inflation tube is soft silicon rubber and when packed away has a fold in it, the fold can stick shut, so make sure you clean the inflation tube and check that it is functioning normally before you hit the water in it, use your forefinger and thumb to squeeze the corners of the fold, while you blow down the tube to fix it. Other thing I like is how some of the bladder cradles the tank, making it more aqua dynamic.

I can't say anything about the Zeagle, I have never used one, but the tech express is what I am going to buy for my next trip overseas it looks like a lite no frills travel BC and has received good reports about it.

I used to own an icon. It was ok, but keep in mind that it's made to be a travel type BC.
There is no real structure to it, the idea is that it can be rolled up a certain way to make it easier to pack up in your luggage.
Because of this, I found that tended to sag when wearing it prior to diving. Once in the water, it's not an issue because the tank provides thr rigidity.
A minor complaint, and not a big deal considering that it's a travel BC.
I never rolled it up the way the owners manual demonstrated, I just layed it flat in my luggage.
I didn't care for the quick release integrated weight buckles, but that's just a personal preference thing.
I ended up selling it, and getting a Scubapro Knighthawk. I later got rid of that too for something else.
I've never used a Zeagle, But I'd probably look closer at that one.

-Mitch

Hi Mitch,
What BC are you using now???
Damo

Deep Sea Supply LCD 30 with a stainless steel plate. I'll probably get a kydex plate to use as a travel rig.

Take care,
Mitch

Hi Mitch,
What BC are you using now???
Damo

Heyy.... thank you guys for helping me get closer to choosing a bcd :D

Back
Top Bottom