New diver getting certified in 3 weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I live in Munich Germany where I am an English teacher. I have lived the majority of my life in Minnesota. I have always wanted to be a certified scuba diver and this dream is about to be realized. I have done my first OW dives and I have two left which I will be completing near the end of May.
I already found an english speaking guy here to dive with so all i need now is some water.
Couple of questions...
Would you recommend buying a mask, snorkel and fins together Or do I really just need a mask? and rent everything else?

I don't have a lot of money so I have to rent for the foreseeable future.

thanks Elgin

having your own equipment is a plus. Especially Mask as this can very peticular. Snorkel personally I do not use. Its jus nice to have your own gear so, eventually you will pay more if you just keep renting again depends on how much your going to dive. If your diving 2 times a year renting is probably a good idea if you get good gear when you rent.

Another option is to buy your gear used. Mask I would get new unless its specific and you have tried it on. Fins as long as you know your size should be fine. Look through SB classified section lots of great deals that will save youe some money.

There is plenty of advice here on gear. Sometimes it is overwhelming.

I began purchasing my gear simply because I was uncomfortable with renting. In my OW class the gear I used changed between confined and open water dives. I wanted my own gear that I could get comfortable with and have my use of it become second nature.

I realize that I may need to upgrade and change items as I dive more, but I accepted that as part of the deal.

I bought my BCD through SB Classifieds. That saved me some money. I bought my regs new at an LDS that price matched.

Get a feel for it and see what works for you.

Welcome to the board!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom