Hello there from Derby, UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What a great forum!

Hi to you all from Sunny Derby her in the East Midlands of the UK. If any of you know UK geography you'll know that Derbyshire is about as far from the coast as anyone can get!!! :(

I'm a newly qualified PADI OW diver, trained with the Go-Dive team here in Derby. Excellent bunch of people and great training, even if it does involve swimming in Moorways leisure centre pool (filthy! :eek: ) and Stony Cove (Frreeeeezing!!! :wacko: )

I am however not quite a complete greenhorn when it comes to diving, having had the enormous pleasure of diving off Bridgetown, Barbados with the Coral Isle Divers and also on the Great Barrier Reef with Quicksilver at Agincourt Reef, and also with the Deep Sea Divers Den out of Cairns

I'm looking forward to gaining my PADI AOW qualification soon and maybe move on up from there... who knows where this might end! I just need to sort out why I get Otitis Externa every time I emerge from either Stony Cove or Moorways!!! :D :D

Cheers everybody and if anyone works in St. Lucia then hopefully we'll meet up when the wife and I go for our holidays next May!

Rez

And welcome to the Scuba Board. :hi: Good place to learn, compare, argue... :thumb:

Bet your not as far from the coast as I am - about 500 miles or so. Over 1,000 to good diving, but I go. We do what we have to to make lire good, eh?

don

Rez Manzoori once bubbled...
What a great forum!

Hi to you all from Sunny Derby her in the East Midlands of the UK. If any of you know UK geography you'll know that Derbyshire is about as far from the coast as anyone can get!!! :(

Rez
Hi Rez, and welcome to the board from wet London.
You may not be near the coast, but at least you've got Stoney, which has got to be the UK's best inland site if you can stop yourself bouncing off other divers at weekends.

Sorry to hear about the Otitis externa, there are various products that may help you, ranging from swim ear, a simple spray, through to masks that have ear covers to keep your ears completely dry (don't know how effective these are though speak to the Go-dive boys).

The UK wreck ferrets board is where all the British divers hang out, check it out and see you there.

Well, I have the same problem, so I use the Pro Ear 2000. It makes you look like a radio operator from a WW2 bomber and you stand about 1/10000000000000 chance in pulling even an ugly bird wearing the mask on a dive trip, but it keeps the water out of the ears and you can hear slightly better as well. Just one word of advice- When enterign the water from a RIB, check that the ear bits haven't moved fromt he backward motion or you will end up with water in your ears AND looking like a radio operator from a WW2 Bomber!!!

Oh, and be thankful you live near Stoney, takes me 2 hours at an average 90MPH to get there (before joining the queue of course)

Happy Days

Dear Rez

I too qualified at Stoney Cove, the water temperature was about 16 degree's despite our instructor reassuring us that it had taken all summer to heat up!!!???

Welcome to the board.:eek:

Greetings from South London

nice to meet a fellow brit diver, Its a great sport, especially in england, tons of stuff to do and see in the UK waters, apart from Nemo i guess :)

Were always trying to arrange trips and meetings in the Wreck Ferrets forum, doesnt always go down, but we try :)

Thanks for the welcome folks! It's a real pleasure hanging out in such a friendly board!

Wapyaly.... 16°? :wacko:
Oh how I'd kill to dive in 16° water! :wink: It was 13° on my first two OW dives and I'm sure it dropped from there when I did the last two! Performing my mask removal and replacement skills resulted in a rather severe 'Ice-Cream Headache'!

Steve - Thanks for personal feedback on the ProEar2000 mate... It's most definitely on my Xmas list! Out of interest, apart from the ear protection, how is it as a mask? Good Visibility?

As regards to Stoney/Stony Cove... yep I guess I'm pretty lucky being so close, AND also having such a friendly LDS in Go-Dive right on my doorstep.... like 2 minutes drive from my house!

And as for British Diving.... well, we'll have to see. Right now my sights are fixed firmly on tropical waters!

Cheers!

Rez

We just got back from Sharm, Red sea, bottom temp 32degree's, now thats what I call diving!! I would definately recommend it!Looking to go back in April.....it was grand!

Back
Top Bottom