Building experience, having good times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markdone

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This is my first post here - be gentle, or be prepared for a load'a grape thru your topgallant....

Back when the Navy had sails, I did some diving, and really liked it , then spent most of my life inland. I recertified last year with my teenage son, hoping to get a dive buddy - but he's moved on to other things.

My long-term goal is a trip to Australia, and to dive GBR. Right now, I'd like to get some more experience, and I'm still stuck inland. I'm looking for some short trips to cheap spots - Belize?, Costa Rica?, Dominican Republic? and a travel/dive buddy.

Any thoughts are welcome.

arrrrh
Mark "Iron Jack Read" (on 9/19)

What part of Texas? It's a big place...

Welcome to Scuba Board. :hi: A fun place to learn, compare, argue, etc. :thumb:

Key Largo is an ideal place to send a :newbie: Once you have your AOW, Nitrox, and a couple dozen ocean dives, I could suggest many more...

good luck,

don :bandito:

Welcome to the board! I am from Ft. Worth also (near Crowley), although right now I live in Mexico City. I haven't gone diving at any of the places you mentioned, yet. I did my OW part of my certification in the Cayman Islands though and it was great. So I certainly recommend it.

Yep I agree that stateside you closest bet would be Florida. And there is good diving there. Come on up to North Carolina and enjoy the many hundred wrecks here.

If you are looking for relatively inexpensive place to go...with some decent diving....put Barbados on your list. The island was hit hard with a major drop in tourism since 9/11 and they are offering some great deals to get people there. Plus there is a lot to see and do on the island when not wet.

This coming summer come on down to NC and we can take you out to some neat wrecks.....but get that AOW...

Good luck and enjoy...
Rich

Rich -
Yep - I'll add Barbados - I'm sorry their tourism is down, but I can't afford the usual "hot spots" -

I'm off to the keys (Islamorada) the first week of Jan, will get my AOW then. One of the local dive shops has a trip to Coz the first week of Feb cheap, includes airfare, so I'm going to check with them this week...

Thanks for the tip.

Mark

Don't overlook Cozumel as a close destination to dive. I haven't been there yet, but the LDS has an annual trip there in the spring (I'm still looking for the money) and I"d like to go.

In the nearby islands, I'll be in Islamorada all next week to try the diving there. Have had great diving with SCUBA in St. Croix and with Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas and Blue Reef Divers in Barbados. Have also dived with Dive Safari in St. Maarten.

Greetings from Central Michigan, good to have you aboard (mind the boom!)

You might come on down to the Texas Swamp Divers section of the Board and check out your neighbors!

There's a LARGE crowd from the DFW area that enjoy local divieng - although I suspect they've pretty much folded up for the "winter".

A little farther out local: In addition to Cozumel, which is hard to beat as in diving that's both cheap and good - - - Do consider the Flower Gardens - a lovely reef only a short trip on liveaboard away from Freeport.

Welcome again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom