another newbie from west Texas with a q?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KF5AEO

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello all from Big Spring Texas. I just recently got intrested in scuba diving on our last cruise. We went snorkeling and snuba diving on the shipwreck and reef in grand cayamen and scuba diving twice in cozumel at a PADI centerr.

Get back home and the only PADI center close to here is most likely shutting down or shut down due to the owner being killed in a tragic diving accident. the other diving school is a SSI dive center that owns Dive Vallhala. Is PADI as much better than SSI as ive heared or are they the same?

I certified through PADI but would have no problem certifying through SSI.

hello all from Big Spring Texas. I just recently got intrested in scuba diving on our last cruise. We went snorkeling and snuba diving on the shipwreck and reef in grand cayamen and scuba diving twice in cozumel at a PADI centerr.

Get back home and the only PADI center close to here is most likely shutting down or shut down due to the owner being killed in a tragic diving accident. the other diving school is a SSI dive center that owns Dive Vallhala. Is PADI as much better than SSI as ive heared or are they the same?
Hi KF5AEO, (that's going to be a tough one to remember)

As many here will assure you, "it's not the agency, it's the instructor". This is very true-- the course materials and standards for either agency are virtually identical, anyone trying to convince you that either one is "much better" than the other is just feeding you a line of sales bull. Don't fall for it.

The instructor teaching the class can make a big difference. Even different instructors working for a particular shop can vary in quality, so take it with a grain of salt if someone tells you how much better a certain shop is than another. If possible, talk to people in your area who have taken lessons, and try to find someone who can recommend a particular instructor as someone they really, really enjoyed. Then make it a point to sign up for that instructor's class. Do this even if another shop offers classes for a little less cost. Heck, a lot of times those lower costs are tied to some equipment purchase deal where you end up throwing money away on overpriced stuff anyway.

+1 on Kotik's comments.

The Instructor makes the difference. I would also add that you want to be comfortable with the dive shop as well.

You have been bitten by the scuba bug. Congratulations!

Welcome to SB.

You should be able to get a good course through SSI, provided you get a good instructor.

The only possibly negative thing is that your DSD will not count towards your course...(Not really a big deal)

Good luck in pursuing your new hobby.

Cheers,
Roger

I am both Padi and SSI certified; they are both very good; and as everyone has stated it all depends on your instructor.

I am moving to Texas this month; where are the good diving spots?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom