Hi :)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay, I'll introduce myself :) I spent a few days going through the threads and there's a lot of information to keep me coming back for a good long time.

I'm new to scuba diving. I was born on the coast - one backyard and a trek down the dunes to the pacific ocean. I lived there until I went away to junior college and my parents moved inland. We live up the McKenzie now.

I started snorkling in a cheesy 2' deep plastic pool when I was about 3. It was mandatory drown proofing when I was growing up. Over the years poaching shellfish got to be a habit so we invented a lot of ways to get that done without actually buying anything. I eventually managed to buy my own kayak instead of leaving one of my brothers holding the other end of the rope tied around my ankle and we started getting farther off shore where we ended up with fewer scrapes and bruises.

I've tried scuba before. Without any professional training and didn't really care for it. It was more a means to get more down time. And then my little brother blew out both of his ears and we were forbidden from even going off the docks for an entire summer and I lost interest in going any deeper than my rope would allow.

Now I want to go again. Only this time I'm a whole lot smarter, I think. I'm taking courses and have just gotten my open water certification. I have a lot of bad habits from years of diving without any training (just going to the end of my 25' rope) and without any gear other than my fins and mask. I obviously have a lot of better habits too though.

I haven't ever had any equalization problems and cold doesn't bother me. And I don't think I'll ever need a dry suit which I think is better than good after watching the other people in my class.

If asked I'd have to say my very worst habit is adjusting to not having to blow bubbles out of my nose going up and/or making sure my comfort zone is also within my limits now that I don't have a lanyard attached to the surface. Which is why, for right now, I'm only diving with people I absolutely trust to boss me around. :)

Welcome to SB. Hopefully you will no longer be poaching

Back
Top Bottom