Greetings from Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for something like six years (!!) but I think it's finally time to jump in. I took a scuba class a dozen or so years ago in college, completed 16 hours of classroom and 32 hours of pool satisfactorily, but was injured in a car accident and couldn't go on my open water dives. Time passed, life happened, and finally things worked out so I could get back into scuba. I finished my classroom and pool training this weekend and plan to do my open water dives next month. I've spent the last several days thinking about scuba like crazy: constant diving dreams and daydreams that aren't showing any signs of letting up. I had a blast this weekend. I didn't want it to end and I can't wait until my next chance to dive.

The start of summer vacation is the perfect time to learn to dive for me; I'm a junior high school teacher by day, and a husband, dad, musician, trivia aficionado, and baseball fan by night.

I really want to get good. I'm lucky enough to have had an instructor who let me redo skills that I passed but didn't feel like I mastered, challenged me to improve, and was patient with my endless questions. I also had a phenomenal group of classmates who were great buddies in the pool and interesting, fun people all around.

-Michael

Hi Michael! I hail from WI as well. Where in the great state do you live? Congrats on finishing up your classroom and pool stuff. Where will you be doing your open water? We are going to be up at Wazee (likely) that weekend doing a dive. Not 100% sure but hopefully it will still happen.

Since you are a baseball fan, are you a Brewers fan? They've been tough to watch lately...but I watch them win or lose as I LOVE baseball. Glad you un-lurked!

Hi,

I'm just outside of Milwaukee. We're doing the open water dives at Pearl Lake, and mine will be early July unless someone cancels (I'm on the waiting list to go earlier). I hear lots of great things about Wazee and would like to take a trip up that way when I'm able.

I am indeed a Brewers fan, born and raised. It's been a little bit of a rough year, but I was around during the 90s when all they had were rough years. It helps to have a thick skin. One fun thing my family has done the last few years is take stadium tours at as many parks as we can. I think we've visited 8 now -- Miller Park, Target Field, Kauffman Field, New Busch, Fenway, Great American, PNC, and what was then The Jake.

Thanks for the reply!

Have fun at Pearl.. The viz is much better early in the season before they turn on the pumps, but you will have a great time.. Cheers...

Welcome to the board. I was in Madison and raised all over Milwaukee and it's suburbs. Too damn cold, but Summerfest is a blast!

Enjoy your diving!

Hi Michael,

Welcome from Oshkosh. Glad to have you "de-lurked". Enjoy the forums!!

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited to be getting back into diving. I've wanted to for years, and it finally worked out for me. I'm looking forward to diving around here, and also to being part of the conversation here on the board.

Hi,

I'm just outside of Milwaukee. We're doing the open water dives at Pearl Lake, and mine will be early July unless someone cancels (I'm on the waiting list to go earlier). I hear lots of great things about Wazee and would like to take a trip up that way when I'm able.

I am indeed a Brewers fan, born and raised. It's been a little bit of a rough year, but I was around during the 90s when all they had were rough years. It helps to have a thick skin. One fun thing my family has done the last few years is take stadium tours at as many parks as we can. I think we've visited 8 now -- Miller Park, Target Field, Kauffman Field, New Busch, Fenway, Great American, PNC, and what was then The Jake.

Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully you'll get there sooner. We are heading down to Pearl on Saturday for a dive. When we were there the first weekend in June there were so many divers (because of the DUI test dive) that the vis was terrible. We are going to try and get down there early this week.

We're doing stadium tours as well. We are trying to hit up Toronto next year with a group. :)

I forgot to ask one thing from your original post...are you fully recovered from your accident?

Have fun at Pearl.. The viz is much better early in the season before they turn on the pumps, but you will have a great time.. Cheers...

Agreed....but also the vis isn't always great when there are a ton of people there. :)

Hi Michael,

Welcome from Oshkosh. Glad to have you "de-lurked". Enjoy the forums!!

Hello Oshkosh! (Even though you were saying it to Michael and not me...LOL!)

Hopefully you'll get there sooner. We are heading down to Pearl on Saturday for a dive. When we were there the first weekend in June there were so many divers (because of the DUI test dive) that the vis was terrible. We are going to try and get down there early this week.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I imagine that when there are a ton of us doing our open water dives, the bottom's going to be churned up like butter, but I still can't wait.

I forgot to ask one thing from your original post...are you fully recovered from your accident?

Yeah. I blew my shoulder out but it's been fixed and (painstakingly and at great length) rehabilitated. Thanks for asking!

Sounds like a lot of fun. I imagine that when there are a ton of us doing our open water dives, the bottom's going to be churned up like butter, but I still can't wait.

Yeah. I blew my shoulder out but it's been fixed and (painstakingly and at great length) rehabilitated. Thanks for asking!

The good news is they have like 12 platforms built so that when divers are in class they don't stir up silt/sediment. So hopefully it won't be too bad.

Shoulder injuries suck! Glad you are better. I played volleyball all growing up, through HS, college, the Army and up until a few years back...but my shoulder is completely shot now. I can't serve, swing or set and the only option is surgery at this point...but since I don't play anymore I'm ok with regular rehab. :) But I"m glad you are better! Take care!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom