New girl from the Sunshine State!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heatherlynn3695

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just got certified at the beginning of the month as a graduation present. Instant love! I cannot wait to go more. Would love some advice on gear and locations if possible. So far I've only got the basics mask, snorkel, fins. I'm a relatively small person, 5" even so I've gotta have extra small everything! I've got volo fins which are fabulous, they are relatively easy, not super powerful but they get me where I'm going. I'm trying to find the best place to purchase my gear that won't break mine or my moms banks, feel free to give me a heads up.. I would love the help. :wink:

Welcome to the board Heather!

You might try posting in the regional forum for your area, there is an active bunch of divers local to you that can probably help show you the ropes: Deep Dixie Divers

Just got certified at the beginning of the month as a graduation present. Instant love! I cannot wait to go more. Would love some advice on gear and locations if possible. So far I've only got the basics mask, snorkel, fins. I'm a relatively small person, 5" even so I've gotta have extra small everything! I've got volo fins which are fabulous, they are relatively easy, not super powerful but they get me where I'm going. I'm trying to find the best place to purchase my gear that won't break mine or my moms banks, feel free to give me a heads up.. I would love the help. :wink:
You have some great shops in your area I would find one that will credit your rental cost of a piece of gear toward the purchase price and the rent a lot a try different things like full vest bcd. Back inflate bc and back plate wing. Find what you really like

For regulators I say hog by edge. Great breathing but not bank breakers. Watch for specials they have some good ones

Dive gear is $$ but if you own it you will dive more

You also need to quickly find your own wet suit so that you get a good fit.

Have fun. Diving is a great way to spend your time and money

the Hog regulator stuff is awesome. that's what i use. and their new 2012 gear is even better! and a great value bit of gear.

it is worth getting your own BC, regs and such. you'll dive more. Down here in SoFl we'll grab a tank and do an early morning dive before work.

:admingreet: Hiya, Heather.

Oh ok thanks, I'll have to buy my gear slowly, but i'll get a wet suit first. In my class we used an Aqualung bcd, I really liked it. It's comfortable and easy to manage. Are there any brands that anyone might recommend that are kind of like the aqualung?
Also, should I bother buying a tank or just rent one? Because they require that maintenance, is it worth it to buy one?

Welcome to the board.

As for BCD's ask 10 divers get 12 different opinions. I am not a typical BCD fan. However, the Aqualung Pearl is a great BCD for smaller women. Mares is another brand you might want to look at.

Tanks all depend on how much you are going to dive. I own all my own tanks, and own quite a few of them. Yearly Visual Inspections, and Hydros every 5 years can add up. However if you are diving a lot, it pays to get your own. Look at the price of tanks and compare it to rental fees and how much you plan on diving, and where your diving will be done.

welcome aboard Heather,

the staff and instructors at your lds will be more than willing to help you out. Try on everything and test in the pool if you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom