New board member just saying hi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

just registered and thought I say hi and write a few words about how I got into diving.

Been reading in this forum for a while and decided to register, so I can lurk around a little less anonymously :wink:

There really are a lot of interesting topics, and there is also a lot of information which I find very helpful for a newbie like me, so I plan to hang around for a while :)

Anyways, I'm originally from Germany but working in Japan currently.

I started getting interested in the underwater world by accident on a trip to Ecuador in 2009. On the way to a small island for some hiking and bird watching, the boat operator gave us some masks and snorkels and asked if we wanted to take a look, so we did. I actually felt a bit uncomfortable, more like fish food floating at the surface, but it was really pretty down in the water!

Back home I did a "try scuba" in a pool (interestingly almost free of charge), because I wanted to know if I panic or feel uncomfortable being under water, breathing off a regulator. But I didn't panic, and wasn't uncomfortable at all. So then I booked a vacation in Thailand with a friend who was already certified. Did my certification there beginning of 2010, and luckily (at least that's what I think) I was the only student that time, so I had the instructor all for myself. After doing the OWD we continued diving for about a week before we flew back home.

And what can I say, I love it underwater :biggrin:

Did more diving in Egypt, Indonesia and now in Japan, and I'm slowly completing my dive gear.

Have to say though that I am a vacation diver, because I don't like cold water too much (like it is in Germany), and where I live in Japan diving it is ridiculously expensive. Luckily though, it's just a 1.5 hour flight down to Okinawa, where I'll go in about two weeks again for a week of diving, can't wait!

Well, that's it for now.

Cheers! :D

Back
Top Bottom