How Divers Cope with living in the Desert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue-ba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I certified a year ago. It is really hard to be a diver when you live in the desert. I know I am not the only land-locked diver. How do you cope with diving 1 or 2 times a year while on vacation?

Yeah, we have a few lakes around that the real die-hards use, ( I start to understand that a little more as time goes by) but after diving in the Carribean a couple of times, it will be a little longer before I feel the urge to dive into the cold, murky water of a lake.

:smooch: Welcome to the Scuba Board. :hi: Fun place to hang out, compare, argue, etc. :thumb:

Let's you and me move to the Caribbean. You run the dive shop, and :boozer: I'll run the bar!

Or, put Scubaboard on your computer's Favorites so you can check in frequently, and add Expedia.com to that Fav-list so you can shop for tickets. I'm going to Cozumel in Janaury and Florida in March on Singles Dive Trips, maybe a California 3 day liveaboard in May, Belize in June, who knows wherre in August, and North Carolina in October. Just go...!!

don

I have to drive 3 1/2 hours just to go to a scuba park to practice. a real dive is in the ocean right. I'm in SW AR so i have to fly to go somewhere nice. there is a group of us going to cozmel at the end of Jan ?
Mike

Welcome Sue-ba.
I kinda understand.....I'm not in the desert, but it's sure cold here (coastal New England) and diving now means getting out the drysuit. I guess it all depends on your degree of desparation......or addiction. I'm contemplating putting that drysuit on more and more often......:eek:
Good luck to you!
And enjoy the board.
Beck

We have a trip planned to Coz in Jul. We usually go sometime around Feb-Mar too but no definite plans yet. Schedules are too hectic to predict right now.

I actually get excited about doing the pool time with my daughter as she certifies in the next few weeks. They will let me do the class with her for free and be her buddy. I think that is desparation to actually be looking forward to pool-time!

Thanks for making me feel so welcome my first time on the board!:D

Just wanted to welcome you to the scuba board. if you get a chance to come to puertorico give me a call. be good stay well. Angelucci.

Sue-ba Lips once bubbled...
We have a trip planned to Coz in Jul. We usually go sometime around Feb-Mar too but no definite plans yet. Schedules are too hectic to predict right now.

I actually get excited about doing the pool time with my daughter as she certifies in the next few weeks. They will let me do the class with her for free and be her buddy. I think that is desparation to actually be looking forward to pool-time!

Thanks for making me feel so welcome my first time on the board!:D

Isn't SeaBase (sp) quite near to you? If you won't dive coldwater then the choice of divesites is cut by that decision, not necessarily where you live.

MD

Yes. We have seabase. The viz is bad unless you go first thing the very day after the day they close for the week. Otherwise, all the beginners stir it up. (I guess I would be considered one of those beginners except I finally figured out my bouyancy.)

We have blue lake with a couple of hours and of course the crater which we did recently again. All not too cold but not the clear water in the carribean or not near the things to see.

Back
Top Bottom