Hi I'm New here or a Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been a visitor here for a month and decided to give myself a Christmas Gift tonight and become a member. I cant beleive I waited sooo long to become a Diver. I got certified in oct and have done only a few dives. I hope i dont get in your way with my :newbie: questions. i would like to join some of the groups here and find some dive buddys. and maybe go on some group trips.Merry Christmas Everyone.
Jo'l

And welcome to Scuba Board :happywave a great place to chat, learn, compare, argue, etc.

For best results, put us in Favorites of your :crush: computer, and check in often.

How soon do you want to travel and dive? Take a look at Group Trips...

don

Thank you for the welcome. I've been in Fl more times this year than I have fingure's to count on. i just can beleive i have never dove there. i just dont know if i should buy my own equipment or rent it.
Jo'l

Welcome to the board on this wonderful Christmas Eve. Just checked the radar, Santa is in Newfoundland now. He'll be here soon and I hope you've been good all year.

Purchasing gear is an individual choice. Some use the rule of thumb that if your only going to be diving a few days a year rent it. Another way is to buy it peace meal, regulator, then BC, etc. I purchased mine before I started O/W class.

Oh, a Texan. Santa will be a litlle longer getting there.

Joe

jriderski:
Purchasing gear is an individual choice. Some use the rule of thumb that if your only going to be diving a few days a year rent it. Another way is to buy it peace meal, regulator, then BC, etc. I purchased mine before I started O/W class.

Oh, a Texan. Santa will be a litlle longer getting there.

Joe

Yeah, I did one trip renting the gear I trained in, as I trusted it - before deciding I was in to Scuba enough to own gear. Then my LDS gave me a nice discount on a package. I could afford to write the check, which is a major deciding factor for most.

I guess the most expensive parts are the most important to me: BC, Octo-reg, computer. I want to know and trust mine well, and I want to know the guy who services it annually - as well as his wife and at least one of his kids. Expensive they are, but the BC & Reg are indicated so often in accident reports.

Oh yeah - I like owning suits that no one else has ever peed in, and they're cheap enough for me to carry spares. I carry a dive skin, velour lined skin, and a 3 mil on every trip - all longs, as I don't want to wear a shorty, then come back to the boat with a rash.

Don't know if Jo'l is a Texan or not. Much of Texarkanna is in Arkansas..?

don

Welcome!!!

I usually travel(to familiar places) now only with my computer. I have got tired of carrying my gear around. But its very important to feel comfortable and confident of your gear. My advice is BUY it!!!

C u down there

Everyone's different. I was certified in the mid-90s, but due to a very hectic work schedule, only had time for a week of diving (vacation) each year. So, I didn't bother buying gear. Now, I've moved out of my home state of Michigan to a land of longer seasons, closer proximity to the Gulf & Florida, and have just made quite a large purchase of gear for my wife & myself. We're certainly looking forward to fine-tuning our own setups & traveling with familiar gear.

You'll find this board absolutely invaluable as you begin the process of gear selection, diving tips & techniques, location hunting, etc. I sure know I have. If I believed everything my local dive shop told me, I'd have been sucked in to buying a setup I wasn't happy with. Instead, I researched for several months, had fun doing it, and now can't wait to dive with the new gear!

Back
Top Bottom