Hello from South Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IreneVat

New
Reaction score
Hi, I am 56 year old who recently went snorkelling and 'tried' scuba diving at Hamilton Island. Would love to learn properly and am wondering would I be OK (after getting doctor's ok of course)? Have had people say I will feel the cold in the water as I am of slight build. anyone's thoughts please.

Women in general tend to be colder while diving due to the differences in gender physiology and fat distribution. Since you describe yourself as being of slight build, that could increase the probability that you will dive cold. However, good thermal protection from a well-fitting wetsuit of suitable thickness will help. Did you wear a wetsuit while doing your Try Dive? Also, do you plan on diving the south coast exclusively, or will you take advantage of warmer waters in areas like the GBR?

Thank you drbill, I would love to dive in the warmer climates and hopefully overseas. But as I live and work in Adelaide it will be the south coast for the time being. for the try dive we didn't need a wetsuit the water was beautiful. I have been doing a lot of research regarding dive courses, fitness requirements and medicals. So hope to do the course Oct/Nov as the weather warms up.

Women in general tend to be colder while diving due to the differences in gender physiology and fat distribution. Since you describe yourself as being of slight build, that could increase the probability that you will dive cold. However, good thermal protection from a well-fitting wetsuit of suitable thickness will help. Did you wear a wetsuit while doing your Try Dive? Also, do you plan on diving the south coast exclusively, or will you take advantage of warmer waters in areas like the GBR?

Hey there Irene.

I am also living in Adelaide, there are some awesome spots here both boat and shore dives, for shore dives, I love Port Hughes and Edithburgh on Yorkes also Rapid Bay is always a timeless tireless gem. You should get yourself down to to Adelaide Scuba, they go out every weekend on there Hard boat plus they do all the PADI courses and have a training pool, they are over in Glenelg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom