Hello From IOwa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doug64

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just saying hello you everone.
and can anyone tell me some good places to dive in Iowa?

Hi doug,

I am from webster city but i live out of state since 72. I got my ow cert at okaboji. A favorite spot for iowans is in wisconsin , i cant recall the name but you take hy3 east to wisc. and there is live sponge in the lake I think the name is devils lake.

Just saying hello you everone.
and can anyone tell me some good places to dive in Iowa?

I know this thread is getting up there in age, but what part of Iowa do you live in? Seatasea (Cedar Rapids) has a list of local dive spots on their website (Midwest Diving Sites | Seatasea Watersports Center | The Midwest's Source for Scuba, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Canoeing, Swimming and Triathlon). They and Scuba Too in Cedar Falls do their check out dives at Turkey Ridge, like Unitink mentioned. If you are in Eastern Iowa, the best site is probable Haigh Quarry, near Chicago about 4 hours from CR. There is also Pearl Lake in Illinois, but conditions there can be pretty up and down because it is a bottom fed, sandy bottom lake. Also, I've heard the people who own it (it's privately owned) can be a little... gruff. Wisconsin has several well reviewed sites, including Devil's Lake, which I'm going to next weekend with the local club. If you want to do any deep diving, Wazee Lake in Wisconsin gets to about 350 feet, but it gets colder than cold pretty quickly. I've heard mixed opinions about diving the wrecks in Milwaukee, with the most common negative opinion being the old Scubaboard standby "It'll kill you!" but I've also heard great things (as long as the weather holds up and it doesn't get too cold) and Seatasea does a trip there ever fall. If you are on the western side of Iowa, I've heard that Atlantic quarry in Atlantic, IA, is nice, but I haven't been there.

Back
Top Bottom