New Diver in the Pacific NW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, My wife and I just got certified last weekend up at Hood Canal. Conditions were poor, but we are looking forward to a 2 week trip in the Caribbean starting July 5th. Any tips for diving in Aruba? We are cautious beginners.

Cinman -- regarding "any tips" -- well here are some:

a. Bring all of your own gear that you can because that is what you know. Start with your Mask and Fins (take a snorkel too because you might want to snorkel there) and if you needed to wear booties with your fins, booties too. You need (yes need) a dive computer, if you don't have one FOR EACH OF YOU, you've just increased the cost of your trip by several hundred dollars. READ THE MANUAL. Make sure you can, and do, download the data after each day of diving and look at your profiles -- too deep, just right, what.

b. ASK QUESTIONS of your dive operator. Tell them you are new divers AND CAUTIOUS ones. Do not let them take you on a dive that worries you -- however, doing a later dive that might push you a bit may not be the worst thing either.

c. DO NOT TAKE A CAMERA. You are new divers and will have enough to think about without the added stress of a camera. Ask others on the boat if they will share their pictures with you. Facebook (or whatever) will be your friend.

d. Do not drink too much in the evenings (he writes with a sad, knowing smile).

e. HAVE FUN.

And yes, there is much, much more to write but HAVE FUN. Oh, and try to get back into the pool at least one more time before you go.

Cinman -- regarding "any tips" -- well here are some:

You need (yes need) a dive computer, if you don't have one FOR EACH OF YOU, you've just increased the cost of your trip by several hundred dollars.

DO NOT TAKE A CAMERA. You are new divers and will have enough to think about without the added stress of a camera.

Thanks Peter!

We have one beginner dive computer on the way. I thought I read that they are included with rental equipment, but I wanted to have at least one that I am familiar with. Why do you say the cost will increase? Do they charge separately for dive computer rentals?

I had the same thoughts about the camera. I don't feel comfortable with buoyancy yet. My wife wants to take the camera and has agreed to be responsible for it. It still makes me nervous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom