Greetings from diver's paradise - Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi !

My name is Gio, I'm based in Indonesia and I pretty much dive around here whenever I have time and sea around - we have the longest coastline in the world, not to add that 17.5% of world's living coral is here, so am I seriously not going to dive? :wink:

So looking forward to make new friends here. If you have any questions about Indonesia, you can come to me and I will try to address your question if not pointing you to the right person:D See ya at the sea !

Gio

Hello and welcome to Scubaboard Gyo. Yes indeed, Indonesia is a diver's paradise. I just got back from my first trip to Indonesia a few days ago. I went with my girlfriend and we had the privilege of diving in Northern Sulawesi and Bali. There are so many other spots that I am sure I will be returning to your country whenever I have the chance.

There is, however, one correction I must bring to your message: Canada is the country with the longest coastline in the world. Indonesia comes in second place. :wink:

Cheers and good diving!

Jose

Hi Gio,

I leave for Indonesia in a few days and I am really torn about what to pack for dive gear. My girlfriend and I are travelling around Bali, Lombok, and wherever else we feel like going for about 6-8 weeks. Diving is not our priority but I would like to get at least 10 dives in while there.

Is it expensive to rent gear there?

I have size 12 feet to so I want to make sure I can get my hands on some fins easily too.

Right now I am looking at just packing my regs, mask, and fins. Then just renting a BCD when I get there. Just not sure if it is worth it to drag all my gear around vs renting it all.

There is, however, one correction I must bring to your message: Canada is the country with the longest coastline in the world. Indonesia comes in second place. :wink:

Cheers and good diving!

Jose

Ahh thanks for the correction there, Jose ! I honestly didn't know that :D

---------- Post added July 9th, 2013 at 11:38 AM ----------

Hi Gio,

I leave for Indonesia in a few days and I am really torn about what to pack for dive gear. My girlfriend and I are travelling around Bali, Lombok, and wherever else we feel like going for about 6-8 weeks. Diving is not our priority but I would like to get at least 10 dives in while there.

Is it expensive to rent gear there?

I have size 12 feet to so I want to make sure I can get my hands on some fins easily too.

Right now I am looking at just packing my regs, mask, and fins. Then just renting a BCD when I get there. Just not sure if it is worth it to drag all my gear around vs renting it all.

Hi, and apologize for the late reply.. Hope you already found some good shop to rent some gear by now.. Basically renting a gear in Indonesia is not too expensive, you can get a full set of gear for approx IDR 200 - 250k / day in average. Even in tourists' area such as Bali and Lombok, it should not be more than IDR 250k. For renting BCD only the price varies from IDR 75k-150k/day.

For me, I'd rather bring my own equipment when travelling, but different person have different opinions :D. If you're still in Bali I would recommend you to visit Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida, its a great dive spot and only takes 30-45 mins by boat from Sanur Beach. It's more quiet too so its kinda a good place to relax while drinking a couple beers. Hope you enjoy your stay !

Hi Gio,

I'm new to SB as well. Currently working as a Divemaster in Malaysia and thinking about heading down to Bali/Lombok in Sept for a visa run. I have heard that Lembongan is really nice. Basically looking for a place in that area to chill out for a few days with accessible nightlife. Can you advise your suggestion? Probably won't do any diving as this will be a quick vacation.

Thanks,
Ashley

Hi Gio,

I'm new to SB as well. Currently working as a Divemaster in Malaysia and thinking about heading down to Bali/Lombok in Sept for a visa run. I have heard that Lembongan is really nice. Basically looking for a place in that area to chill out for a few days with accessible nightlife. Can you advise your suggestion? Probably won't do any diving as this will be a quick vacation.

Thanks,
Ashley

Hi Ashley, I would strongly recommend you to go to Gili Trawangan in Lombok, its a small island located in Lombok, and I think it would meet your expectation, nightlife-wise especially. What i like also about Gili Trawangan is that the fact that no motor vehicle are allowed in this island, so u gotta rent a bicycle, or walk. U can walk around the island in just 40 mins, so its a tiny island. Nusa Lembongan in Bali is nice if you are going to dive there, it has many amazing dive spots, but not so much on nightlife. This island is more for people seeking quiet and peaceful time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom