Brand new, diving in SuvuSuva Jan2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I will be finishing College in November 2013 and then taking a gap year before going to University.
I am enrolled in the Greenforce marine conservation program and will be arriving in Savusavu Fiji on 11 January 2014. I will be involved in the program for 10 weeks and as part of the conservation work I will be scuba diving and gain PADI open water, open water advanced and emergency.

I have NEVER scuba dived!!!! But sooooo looking forward to it.

I need to have some equipment so have to weigh up buying over hiring. I have never been to Fiji either so not familiar with whats available there. The list below is what I will need for the diving part.

Is there anyone out there who can help with advice on the gear I need and if it is better to hire or buy for a first timer. And idea of costs?

Wetsuit (either a 3mm or a 5mm long) small size 8 to 10
Mask
Snorkel
Fins with heel straps for use with wetsuit boots (not full-foot fins)
Wetsuit boots with hard soles
BCD - not essential as supplied by program
Regulator - not essential as supplied by program
Dive computer
Weight belt
Spare strap for mask and fins
Diving knife ( the smaller the better)
Large (A4) dive slate with two blank sides
Dive compass

Is there anyone out there in Fiji that would be interesting in meeting a fellow British /Kiwi and showing me the sights?

Cheers

Lauren

Welcome to Scubaboard Lauren,

i recommend buy a mask, fins (open heel with boots) 3mm full wetsuit and a simple dive computer.
Most important on that stuff is fit ! Its got to be comfortable for you. This is all you need !

Hi Lauren,
Welcome to Scubaboard and congrats on your first step into the underwater world. I agree with Coconut Divers, when you're first starting out all the gear can look very enticing but I would stick with the basics. Mask/Fins/Snorkel/Boots/Simple Dive Computer and Wetsuit. A dive shop in your area should be able to help you find equipment that is right for you and will fit well. With very little knowledge about diving, gear and fit I would suggest avoiding purchasing your equipment over the internet, prices can often look more attractive but when it comes to a mask and wetsuit fit is soooo important.

Recommendations:
- Mask (choose the one that fits your face the best not the one that costs the most. When I used to sell equipment I used to have people try on every mask in the shop and put the three that fit the best aside. Have them try all three on again and if the fit was all the same between them I would suggest they buy the cheapest)
- Fins with open heels and boots with a good sole that fit your fins.
- Wetsuit - Fiji in Jan will have nice warm water temps around 28 deg C. A 3mm suit will be plenty thick and will keep you warm. When trying on a suit fit is supper important. You want it to fit snug all over with very few gaps but you don't want it so tight you can't take a full breath.
- Dive Computer - Check out the Suunto Zoop. Good features and a good price. If you want to spend a little bit more then the Suunto D4 is the same computer on the size of a wrist watch.
- Snorkel - not necessary for diving but will come in handy for snorkeling. You don't have to spend a lot, a basic snorkel should will work out well.

For your program (if they are worth anything) should provide your compass, slates, reg, BCD and weight belt.

For a bit more comfort you can pick up a neoprene mask strap. One that replaces the original, which you can they use as your spare.

Good luck and enjoy Fiji. Remember Fiji is a developing country so some things you're accustom to at home will not be available but Fijians are outstanding and will make you feel like family.

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated. Having spoken to a few people now I have come to the conclusion that I will purchase not hire. I will be going to a dive shop and getting the right fitting items. Have had some great advice from experienced divers and I am glad to see the same theme from everyone, which is reassuring! I just need to get there now and enjoy the experience of scuba in beautiful tropical waters! I will be trying to get familiar with equipment before I go though by hooking up with some divers here in Taupo - it just Taupo lake is far far too cold for me at the moment!!

Don't forget if anyone in Fiji wants to hook up and show me the sights !

Back
Top Bottom