New to board, currently working in Borneo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCcowgirl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, Just wanted to post a quick greeting; I'm new to SB. American Divemaster currently working in Sabah, Malaysia, just off the coast of Borneo. I'm always happy to answer questions about areas where I have worked previously (Con Dao, Vietnam; Lady Musgrave Island/Bundaberg, Australia; Koh Tao, Thailand) and looking for dive buddies for future traveling and diving adventures! Happy diving to everyone, Ashley

Welcome to SB. I often see questions posted by new-ish divers who dream of being itinerant divemasters/instructors, living and working in a variety of exotic places around the world. Too many people rain on their dreams. I hope you give some encouragement the next time one of those posts appears.

welcome to the board. Never went to PomPom but did a few dives around Sipidan and Mabul. Defnitely a nice location if you can handle the remote lifestyle.

Too many people rain on their dreams.
A foreign DM working in SE Asia is rare IME. Most of the jobs go to locals. 'We' don't post this to rain on any parade- but to tell the reality of the situation. While possible, it's not probable.

. . .
A foreign DM working in SE Asia is rare IME. Most of the jobs go to locals. 'We' don't post this to rain on any parade- but to tell the reality of the situation. While possible, it's not probable.

If everyone heeded advice based on the statistical likelihood of achieving their dream, nobody would go for it. All I meant was that seemingly every time someone posts about traveling around the world as a DM or instructor, someone here feels obligated to hit them with a dose of reality. SE Asia may be difficult, but there are places in the world that hire foreigners, albeit mainly instructors. Maybe the OP earns a meager wage as a DM and lives mostly off savings--who knows. Everyone's situation is different. That's all I've got to say besides welcoming the OP and applauding the fact that she seems to have achieved something rare and is enjoying her life.

Believe me, I have heard plenty of the rain on your parade types since getting my DM certification - yes it can be much more difficult to find work as a DM as opposed to an instructor, yes it can be difficult to find work as a foreigner in this area of the world, but just like in any other job, if you put your mind to something and keep at it, you will have a greater chance of success. Also, certain countries/areas are more difficult than others. I have worked with plenty of other foreigners in SE Asia.

Finding good-paying work - well, that's another story entirely lol. I would not say that I mostly live off savings as I have found several jobs that include accommodation & meals, but having some cash in the bank when I started this whole crazy adventure has definitely saved my butt more than once! You sure don't get into diving as a career for the $$$, but it certainly is an adventure, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. :)

Believe me, I have heard plenty of the rain on your parade types since getting my DM certification - yes it can be much more difficult to find work as a DM as opposed to an instructor, yes it can be difficult to find work as a foreigner in this area of the world, but just like in any other job, if you put your mind to something and keep at it, you will have a greater chance of success. Also, certain countries/areas are more difficult than others. I have worked with plenty of other foreigners in SE Asia.

Finding good-paying work - well, that's another story entirely lol. I would not say that I mostly live off savings as I have found several jobs that include accommodation & meals, but having some cash in the bank when I started this whole crazy adventure has definitely saved my butt more than once! You sure don't get into diving as a career for the $$$, but it certainly is an adventure, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. :)

Good for you!!!!

Hi all, Just wanted to post a quick greeting; I'm new to SB. American Divemaster currently working in Sabah, Malaysia, just off the coast of Borneo. I'm always happy to answer questions about areas where I have worked previously (Con Dao, Vietnam; Lady Musgrave Island/Bundaberg, Australia; Koh Tao, Thailand) and looking for dive buddies for future traveling and diving adventures! Happy diving to everyone, Ashley

Howdy!

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

I love Borneo! But I haven't made it to the Malaysian side. It's on my list!

Back
Top Bottom