Hello from Cape Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2balive

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

Started diving in Cape Town, lived in Jhb for a (very) long time, now back in Cape Town.

Done lots of diving in Cape Town (years ago) and on the African east coast.

Hope to find some local people to dive with more often.

Rest of my family also dives.

Welcome to scubaboard! I have been wanting to come to your part of the world to dive with sharks and do the sardine run. Have you done those dives?

Hi

Yes, I have done both.

Here is some photo's of a recent Blue shark (and Maco) dive that I did early this year south of Cape Point. Actually need to make an album of the Sardine run as well.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35oqs3qsOF7A

SA is very big and diving conditions diverse, so will have to pick a few places beforehand and plan your travel. Sharks are also seasonal visitors to most areas here, so time of year is key.

The Sardine Run involve a lot of planning (and choosing a good group/company to go with). I did more snorkeling on the sardine run than scuba diving, the bait balls moves quickly and found it easier to snorkel (and get in and out of the boats) than kitting up and down the whole time. Although felt very vulnerable with so many big things in the water and me floating on the top. Life changing experience.

Other shark dives you should consider is:

- 7 gill dive in Simon's Town
- Great White cage diving in False Bay and Gans Bay (not a big fan of this, but probably has to be done at least once)
- Zambezi (and lots of other) shark diving on Protea banks (fairly advance dive due to current). (Bull Sharks are known as Zambezi sharks locally)
- Tiger Sharks on Aliwal Shoal (best shark dive I have done)
- Raggies (Sand Tigers) on Aliwal Shoal
- Great White in Mossel Bay

Also lot of sightings in Sodwana and Mozambique.

Definitely worth a visit, try to avoid local school holidays, crowded and expensive, would do November or late Jan, early Feb if you want a summer, or our winter (June - Aug), normally better diving as well.

Hi

Yes, I have done both.

Here is some photo's of a recent Blue shark (and Maco) dive that I did early this year south of Cape Point. Actually need to make an album of the Sardine run as well.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35oqs3qsOF7A

SA is very big and diving conditions diverse, so will have to pick a few places beforehand and plan your travel. Sharks are also seasonal visitors to most areas here, so time of year is key.

The Sardine Run involve a lot of planning (and choosing a good group/company to go with). I did more snorkeling on the sardine run than scuba diving, the bait balls moves quickly and found it easier to snorkel (and get in and out of the boats) than kitting up and down the whole time. Although felt very vulnerable with so many big things in the water and me floating on the top. Life changing experience.

Other shark dives you should consider is:

- 7 gill dive in Simon's Town
- Great White cage diving in False Bay and Gans Bay (not a big fan of this, but probably has to be done at least once)
- Zambezi (and lots of other) shark diving on Protea banks (fairly advance dive due to current). (Bull Sharks are known as Zambezi sharks locally)
- Tiger Sharks on Aliwal Shoal (best shark dive I have done)
- Raggies (Sand Tigers) on Aliwal Shoal
- Great White in Mossel Bay

Also lot of sightings in Sodwana and Mozambique.

Definitely worth a visit, try to avoid local school holidays, crowded and expensive, would do November or late Jan, early Feb if you want a summer, or our winter (June - Aug), normally better diving as well.

Very nice pictures. I dive with Raggies a lot in North Carolina. Id love to dive with Makos and tigers. Let me add you to my buddy list so that we may stay in touch.

Back
Top Bottom